Topic

Why Should a Person Become a Member of BPL?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Why Should a Person Become a Member of BPL?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I agree with Michael above – I like to support what I enjoy.

Just about everything I've bought in moving to UL over the last few years was based on the BPL articles and the reader reviews. That information has saved me a lot of money testing out gear myself. The BPL members are also great about answering questions and giving opinions on gear, philosophy, places to go, etc. I think it's well worth the membership cost to support the BPL community.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Eddy,

You might not be aware, but there are some reviews in the past that did not require a subscription.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/msr_hyperflow_modified_cartridge_review.html

See the article above.

If anything it will give you a little taste of how the articles are written.

-Tony

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I joined 1 1/2 years ago and found the first year's subscription extremely helpful for the article archives. There are lots of good ones from prior years, particularly the ones on technique (such as the ones about techniques for cold, wet weather). I didn't really learn a lot of new things except that it added organization and some new concepts to what I was doing already. I trimmed about 3 lbs. off my base weight, but have since added half of them back because I need them for my personal comfort level. Still, that's 24 oz. that I no longer have to carry!

I've found very few of the current articles to be of interest. However, I did renew last fall because I was offered a half-price renewal. I may not renew again. And I have this prejudice that information offered on the internet should be free, although I do make small donations to the free sites that I use a lot. Despite that, I strongly recommend getting a one-time membership for access to the archived articles. Even the oldest are well worth while.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I'm working on a personal "Best of BPL" for my blog right now, and on preliminary draft, the vast, vast majority of the articles are by Roger Caffin. His work alone is worth the membership cost.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools