Topic

What kind of rope for bear bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What kind of rope for bear bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

hows the fine if you don't have one. What about an ursack in yosemite bob?

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I'm still searching here! I'd love to put an order in today.

The top rope, from advertising material seems to be the AirCore Pro Ursa. But it's $40 plus shipping for a rope that I'm liable to loose in a tree. That's outrageous and I'm not sure I'm willing to spend that much.

3mm cord weighs a good deal, I'd rather have something lighter.

That leaves the various tiny cords, which I'm hesitant to buy. Can't get past the vision of them snapping or sawing through trees. Surely they do. Don't they?

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

assuming your line is around 2mm or less, you can put some of it through a sheath of a thicker rope, do some research and make sure you have the clearance first, as it can be annoynig stuffing a 2mm line thorugh a hole BARELY larger than it. A paracord sheath on about 10 feet of your line would protect the tree and allow you to use a small cheap line.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't know the fine, but it is probably considerable. There is a federal district court that holds session just for violations such as this. It is a federal rap.

Hanging a bear bag is illegal in Yosemite, and the Ursack has never been approved. There are about five brands of bear canisters that are approved. The old Garcia canisters are the only ones that they rent there.

–B.G.–

Mark Brodis

@eatwell

Re: Using a pulley to ease friction when hanging a bag

A cheap/light department store carabiner works well for this too. Not a real carabiner, more like the kind you use as a keychain etc. Pull that up and tie off then have another line running through the carabiner, low friction…

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools