Topic

Silk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

I was just thinking…. Silk pajamas, down quilt, vaulted ceiling with mood lighting, ambient relaxation music, it sounds more like the Ritz.

If it doesn't feel good, you're doing it wrong.
    BJ

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Well, considering I do have silk PJ's, a down bag and down air mat, with the vaulted ceiling of my Double Rainbow, and ambient relaxation sounds of nature, I'll take that any day over a night in the Ritz! Could I go lighter? Sure. But I'm d@mn comfortable! :)

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

I use a tarp only when it's raining, so I get the free moodlighting. We don't call it Big Sky Country for nothing!

But seriously, does anyone know where I can get a pattern for pajama bottoms? I don't use a top.

Roger:
    By poly/cotton are you referring to the athletic type tube sock or the heavy duty hiking? +1 for pics. We promise we'll be reasonably good.

BJ

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I'm wondering if tracing a pair of jogging pants would work. I mean, its used inside a sleeping bag in the wilderness. I wouldn't mind if it were a little funky looking.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Travis, that would be the way to start. Keep in mind the seam allowance, because you have to sew the pieces together. If the sewing person is really skilled, the seams can be kept very small and neat. My liner seams are more "functional."

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> By poly/cotton are you referring to the athletic type tube sock or the heavy duty hiking?

No, they started life as plain fabric, very similar to some light handkerchief material.
    But yes, you could easily skip the hassle and use something like Gobi Wigwam liner socks instead.

Cheers

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Roger, Bob, anyone,
    I ordered 4 yards from Thaisilks and am going to attempt making some PJs. While I'm sure I won't win the Sewer of the Year award, I do have a question on sewing seams.

With such a light material, what is the best way to sew pieces together? Is a crude straight stitch plenty fine? Or do I need more complicated seams to keep the fabric from fraying and pulling apart?

Oh, one more question. Should I prewash this silk before sewing it? Do I have to worry about shrinkage?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

My silk from Thai Silks arrived today. 4 yards of the 6mm weighs 3.75 ounces on my scale. These are going to be some light pajamas!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've never tried sewing pajamas, so I can't say. On my sleeping bag liner, I used a straight stitch and then a very narrow zigzag over that (but for no apparent reason). The straight stitch is sufficient to hold it together, and is simple enough to rip out if you screw up. The weight of the thread is totally insignificant, so just do whatever works.

In general, silk is washed lightly by hand in cold water.

–B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks Bob.

I may do a straight stitch to start and check its sturdiness with the fabric. If needed, I might double up with a second stitch like you did.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I suggest using a full felled seam for silk. That will add strength and protect the edges from fraying. It's what I generally use for silk.

Cheers

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks for your input, Roger. Time to break out the sewing how-to dictionary!! Gotta learn sometime…

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

Roger, is that the same as a flat-felled seam, like the seams on jeans?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> is that the same as a flat-felled seam, like the seams on jeans?
    My apologies. What I meant was a full 'flat-felled seam'. ie with the edges tucked under and a couple of lines of stitching. Yes, like jeans.

Cheers

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Roger, I was looking into making some silk PJ's also, could I use a Serger?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ok, I officially declare felled seams with silk a pain in the butt.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Tad

> I was looking into making some silk PJ's also, could I use a Serger?
    Only if you have one … :-)

More seriously, yes, of course you could. But whether the result would be as strong as a flat-felled seam I do not know, and I suspect it might depend partly on what sort of Serger you have. I have some reservations.

Some background might be in order here. The Serger was developed to allow commercial/industrial sewing of fabric edges at higher speeds and more cheaply than is possible with a conventional sewing machine. It usually assumes that a single line of stitching is adequate for strength and that you just need to bind the edges to stop fraying. This may not apply to very light fabrics such as Habitoi silk.

Experiment?

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Ok, I officially declare felled seams with silk a pain in the butt.
    Try taking all the pins out of the seam before using the liner?

Cheers

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I knew I was missing a step along the way somewhere!

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools