Topic

GG Mariposa Plus vs. ULA Ohm for PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG Mariposa Plus vs. ULA Ohm for PCT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Was wondering if anyone has used the Mariposa Plus or ULA ohm on the pct? Trying to narrow down pack options should I chose to get a different pack (currently have ULA catalyst at 47oz!) This is heaviest thing I have so I would like to shave off some weight with a new pack, and others have recommended these packs on a previous thread of mine. Any thoughts? Thanks
    Evan

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Consider also the Six Moon Designs Starlight–30 oz. with the "optional" stays (mandatory, IMHO), will easily carry up to 35 lbs for those long waterless stretches. I have its discontinued little brother, the Comet, and really love it!

Since pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, be prepared to pay some return postage on these until you find the pack that works for you!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have no experience with the Ohm, but I love my GG Mariposa Plus!

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

One concern of mine on a long trek like the PCT would be the durability of the Mariposa since it is made of silnylon. I would think the Ohm would have a much longer lifespan since it is made of Dynema. The only Mariposa I have seen is Brad's but I haven't seen the Ohm for a comparison. I do have a Conduit and can attest the Dynema is very strong. Good luck with the decision and hike!

EDIT: @Keith – my apologies for my misinformed post on the Mariposa material. It seems from the users the material is quite strong so probably shouldn't be a concern.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Trevor may have been thinking of the Miniposa which is made out of 1.3 oz. sil-nylon The Mariposa is made of 2.2 oz. urethane coated ripstop nylon and is plenty tough. I'm going on my 3rd year with mine and it gets better and better … literally. Gossamer Gear sent me the new curved stays and it packs like a dream.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I recently sold my Ohm and got a Mariposa Plus. I find it is easier for me to live out of the GG pack, with the 4 mesh pockets. I am sure it would be plenty durable. Both weigh about the same. So concentrate on the features and benefits of each. Either would be a great pack for your trip.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Nick,
    Thanks- actually your post on my original forum is why I am asking about these 2 packs. You brought them to my attention, and I think either would be great for my hike. Maybe one will come up used on gearswap? That would be cool. Seems like they are very similar in all the stats. Can I ask you why you find the GG pack to be easier to live out of? Better pocket placement?

Thanks for all the advice guys. Seems like anyone who has these packs love them. I am concerned about the volume and ability to carry heavier loads in the sierras- can anyone comment on these issues from a PCT/personal experience standpoint? Thanks again
    Evan

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I've heard some rumors that GG is going to introduce a larger Gorilla this spring, but can't verify. I have a message into GG asking.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"Can I ask you why you find the GG pack to be easier to live out of? Better pocket placement?"

The side pockets on the Ohm are small and harder to get things in and out of them than the mesh pockets of the GG. About 2/3 of the sides of the Ohm is just the pack with cords and all of the sides of the GG are mesh pockets… large mesh pockets. The mesh front pocket of the GG is looser against the pack and easier to get stuff in and out. All that mesh makes it easier to see what is in them (and of course greater chance of tearing them). I like pad storage pocket outside the pack on the GG. The GG shoulder pads seem wider and are closer together… at least it feels that way, I did not measure. I like that you can remove the padding from the GG shoulder pads and belt; you can substitute spare socks, glove liners, bubble wrap, etc for the padding, or just go without. Also if you need to, you can use the outside Y-strap to secure something to the outside of the pack on the GG.

Both packs can carry around 30lbs if needed, and can probably do more in a pinch. But the point is not to do that. Many people have thru-hiked the PCT and other long trails with much smaller packs.

Like I said, both are great packs. And I wouldn't argue with any Ohm owner that the Mariposa Plus is better.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Brad,
    That would be interesting to see. Too bad I am leaving in 3 weeks! But I will be interested in that when I do get back for sure. Hope it happens!
    Nick,
    You do make a very good case for the GG pack. I have made a spreadsheet with all the ULA, SMD, and GG packs on there to compare them a little easier. I dont know why I did not do this earlier. I would not want to carry more than the packs reccomended max load- I am worried a little about the sierras though. I should have a sub 10 lb base with a new pack, however it will be a little more in the sierras with an axe and bear canister. Hopefully off set by the less water needed. I am guessing that the ohm is not bear canister capable, correct? That is an important feature that the GG seems to have.
    I am still unsure about bear canister capabilities with these packs:
    ULA Circuit, Ohm, and Conduit and the GG G4.
    All the SMD packs had "bear canister capable" as a feature, and the GG Mariposa Plus and Gorilla both have the Y strap.

Is the light weight carbon fiber suspention loop in the ULA packs similar to the aluminum frames in the SMD packs, only lighter?

Thanks
    Evan

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Bear canisters will pop out from under the Y strap of the Mariposa unless it is packed pretty tight and very balanced. I put mine (Bear Vault solo) inside the extension and tighten the Y strap over it that way. A Bearikade Weekender or Expedition set in vertically will probably work, but you won't have a lot of room left… The new aluminum stay made this pack very much more comfortable with bear cans, the previous carbon fiber rods didn't provide as much support.

While on the JMT last year I ran into a fellow with a Bearikade in his old (one of the original) G4 packs. It was his last hike with the old thing, it looked rather worn, but was still holding the gear just fine…

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Lori,
    I am not sure which canister I will be using yet, I am hoping to get one from the canister loan program and will get word from them soon. Inside the extension could work as it has for you, just hoping that I will have enough room for the rest of my gear in the pack. I wonder how I could rig something on the pack to make it stay better?
    Do you know how the volume/shape of the old G4 relates to the new? I wonder if a slightly smaller canister such as the BV500 would still fit in the G4.
    Thanks

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I saw a trick (on the GG web site?) where you glue velcro to your bear canister, and to the underside of your Y-strap. Sounded good to me. Of course, I've never seen a bear canister. But ask me about a beer canister…….

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Ahh that is a good trick! I will have to find out if I can do that with a loaned canister- they probably wont have any problem with it. I can probably remove the velcro before sending it back.
    Who said beer?
    Evan

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

If they won't let you use velcro on the loaned canister, I have heard that wrapping the canister in foam, like a sleeping pad or sit pad makes it hold better. Some of the canisters by themselves are pretty slippery.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

I will save a piece of my foam pad for that purpose- maybe use a sit pad for that? Just hope to get the canister!
    Evan

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

I find that the best way to carry a canister in the GG Mariposa Plus is right inside the pack vertically. If you are carrying a low base load you will have plenty of room for it inside. The Y strap does not work unless you have a lot of stuff in the pack for it to "sit" on. I used a Bearikade Weekender on the JMT last summer. The Expedition is a bit bigger but should still fit.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Why not spread a little silicone on the underside of the Y strap to create some grip?

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Got a few good ideas here to keep the canister tight- could try each, as they are all really UL and dont include anything extra that I was not planning on bringing anyway.
    Do you think I will have enough room in there for a canister? I should have a light base- say 10lb max. Never used anything this small before on a thru hike, so I am a little worried about capacity.
    Thanks
    Evan

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Evan,

Since I rented a Bearicade and would not get it until a few days before I left I wanted to be sure I would have room. I went to the lumber yard and bout a Sono-tube, or Quick-tube, etc. They are round forms used to pour concrete. I bought a 10" diameter and cut it to the right length. I then cut it down the center and re-taped it to make a 9" tube since a 10" tube was the closest I could get. I then made a bottom and a lid. Voila! I now had a cardboard bear canister.

It worked quite well as a sample. That's when I found it easier to fit it right inside the pack vertically. When I tried the Y strap method it felt like the canister was pulling away from me. Much more secure inside the pack. YMMV.

The GG Mariposa has a lot of volume.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Scott,
    Thanks for the info. Looking at all the stats of the packs it is a little scary to cut my usable volume in half! Everything should be low volume though, except the bear canister.
    That would work to test it out, but it would mean buying the pack before knowing if it would fit. But I will be using a smaller canister I think, so if it fit for you, it should fit for me. At least I hope!
    Thanks again
    Evan

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

The big pockets are one of the things I appreciate most about the Mariposa. I've carried the Bearvault 450 and the Bearikade Expedition. Both inside. I wouldn't want to rely on the Y strap for that. The strap is better suited to carrying soft items. I'd roll a pad around clothes or other soft items and cinch it down tight under the strap, but the canisters will always go inside the pack.

I've carried 35 lb. in mine. It wasn't comfortable but since I was carrying food for two, the weight dropped under 30 fairly quickly. I should add that it was with the carbon stays. I haven't gone over 30 lb. since I installed the aluminum stays. It is exceptionally comfortable at that weight and I suspect I would find 35 lb more comfortable now.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Sounds like the Mariposa Plus is a good option, and many people like it. Being able to hold the canister is a must, so check on that. +1 on the carry capacity too, I will probably hit the 30-35 mark in the sierras. Less than half the weight of my current pack too. Too bad its OOS. Anyone want to get rid of one?
    What about the SMD packs like the swift? The old one is on sale for 75 bucks. Seems like a good deal if I cant get the Mariposa at a decent price. Anyone use it?
    Evan

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools