Topic

Penicillin on the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Penicillin on the trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Hey there-
    My dentist gave me a prescription for 24 pills of penicillin yesterday for use on the trail. She told me I could use it should I have problems like swelling with my wisdom teeth. Would this be a good option for antibiotic on the trail? I dont have any allergies to it, that I know. Unfortunetly I also dont have a regular doctor/physician so I dont know where I would be able to go for a different prescription. Just wanted to know if it is worth it to bring this stuff on the trail. Thanks and have a great day!
    Evan

Richard Rini
    BPL Member

@rarini

Locale: Southeast

Evan,

Not sure where you are going with this. I'm not a physician but I have always been under the impression that penicillin is an antibiotic. Are you asking if it will be beneficial as an anti-inflammatory? As for penicillin reducing swelling, it won't but swelling can be a sign of infection.

Maybe I just did not understand your post?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Whenever I am going someplace where I will be away from good professional medical care (like a third-world country), I generally get my physician to prescribe some items. One item is a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as Cipro or Bactrim, but they act more on the GI tract, which is where more concern was (for me). Penicillin could be a better choice for some specific thing like impacted wisdom teeth, and I'm guessing that you are 20-35 years old for that.

Why don't you ask your physician?
    –B.G.–

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Hey there-
    yes I am 21 and the dentist says I may have problems with my wisdom teeth on the trail, which is why she gave me the prescription for Penicillin.
    I was hoping I could use it as a general antibiotic on the trail as well- basically carry that, tylenol, stronger pain killers, and something for diarrhea for the pill section of my FAK.
    I dont have a physician and cannot afford medical insurance, so its usually really expensive for me to go to the doctor. I try to go when traveling abroad because it is cheaper but will not be going abroad before the PCT. Otherwise I would definitely go there and ask.
    Thanks!
    Evan

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Your best bet is to use the Penicillin just how it was prescribed, for a potential wisdom tooth problem.

If you get to third-world countries where serious viral water problems exist, you are better off getting medication specifically for that.

If you are backpacking domestically, then there isn't so much of a serious viral water problem. You can still get a little sick from simple stuff. That's why they invented Pepto-Bismol and Immodium.
    –B.G.–

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

:) thanks Bob!
    Gotta love the water we have here in the states.
    Here's to not getting sick

Evan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools