Topic

BPL member shuttle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

I was reading the thread on the father and son looking for trip advice. One common thread among many of these types of posts is the rental car/ shuttle issue.

I have tried to get around renting a car myself because let's face it, it's a hassle to rent and then leave it at the trail head for a week or more.

One other site I frequent (advrider) has a list of enthusiasts who would allow a fellow rider to either put their tent up on their lawn, or even give them a room/ couch to crash on. This list is huge and all over the world. There are other websites that do that too.

I was wondering if there would be interest here for shuttle's? If you were willing to offer other members an occasional shuttle from the airport to trail heads near you, you could add your name to the list.

I live near Seattle so I could, on occasion, pick up members and drop them at a trailhead, like the PCT at Snoqualmie. It wouldn't be that big of a deal for me. It might take an hour and a half or so.

What do you think, would it work? Who would be interested?

Greg

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Greg,
    That'd be really cool and helpful. I'd like to join, except I live nowhere near a trailhead! Southeast Wisconsin sucks for hiking.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Well, it would still be a benefit for those driving you. They would get to meet a fellow BPL'er and compare notes on trips, gear, etc. It would be a great way to mingle with others with similiar interests.

gl

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

hahaha Travis. I bet you know the Kettle Moraine South like the back of your hand.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

That would be really cool. I would like to do it too, but with lack of a car or trailhead in chicago it would be tough :(
    Ya'll can always stay at my place though! Like couchsurfing for hikers! :)
    Evan

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

Great idea!

I live in New York City so I don't know how many people fly here to go hiking…but if I can help someone let me know.

Does someone want to make a list on google documents? Or create a website with a database?

Russell Klopfer

@fluxxball

Locale: Pittsburgh

I like this idea too. But, there might be a problem: since most people live in cities, they're not likely to be close to the choicest trail heads. And, the people that don't live in cities are probably far from the airport you're flying into. Personally, I'd be more inclined to drive N hours if I were going along for the trip. :)

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I live near a lot of sweet trailheads, but I don't have a car. If anyone wants to fly out, rent one, and drive me to a trailhead, it's be much appreciated!

btw, i like this idea. trail angels are rad.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Anyone wants to come out and walk here in Western Australia I would be more than happy to pickup/drop off. No room in the house with all the kids but the back lawn is available, and free

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I have also been thinking this could be a cool idea. I live near the start of the AT (south) and would be glad to help out with rides from ATL to Springer Mountain. Didn't know where to post the offer.

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

I live close to the Atlanta airport. I'd be happy to take any member needing a ride to the AT trailhead.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I live close to the Toronto airport and would be willing to pick up and drop off.

I don't have a backyard so I can't offer a tent pad, but if someone passes my pre-screening process (ie. not psycho and not a stranger), I do have a couch that is available.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'll extend Stevens criteria for Missoula. Depending on the schedule, this summer I might be interested in joining/driving good folks coming out for Yellowstone, Glacier, Bob, etc.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I live near BWI, and would be happy to pick someone up and take them to a trailhead in Shenandoah or the AT in MD.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Can someone with experience with Google docs or something similiar set this up? It could be organized by state, and then you add your name under that if you are willing to do this.

When you need a ride, you would just look under the state and see what's available.

Greg

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Could an additional tab be inserted for available floor space/lawn space? I cant help with driving but I could offer someone the use of my home for a night, as long as I am around to let them in!
    Evan

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I could also help with rides to Springer from ATL, schedule permitting.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools