Topic

New to Tarping- Advice needed!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New to Tarping- Advice needed!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Craig Roberts

@homer

Locale: Midwest

Hi Andy. Was looking at your flat tarp and thinking about one for myself. I have a MYOG cat in the works, but I like the open airy style of the flat. Did you use a pattern? I'm a newbie at the MYOG stuff, but excited to learn.
    Also noted your pics at Zaleski. May be going there (or Shawnee SF) later this month. Day hiked at Shawnee, how's Zaleski?

Thanks

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Hi Craig,

I mostly followed Ed Speer's instructions for making the basic tarp. The main differences are that I used nylon webbing instead of grosgrain ribbon for all tieouts, and used one middle tieout instead of two. I also added many tieouts, mostly patterned after tarp pitches shown on Oware's pages and Ray Jardine's tarp. Adding Ray's pullouts makes for a great A-frame setup, and a tieout in the dead center of the tarp can be used for a more taught and lower diamond setup with a ridgeline or guyline.

Zaleski is easier than Shawnee, from what I've heard (haven't been to Shawnee yet). Trails are well-maintained and marked with water spigots near campsites. (Call to find out if water is available though.) The only trailhead parking lot will be _underwater_ if there's more than a few hours of heavy rain. There are other parking options for the determined, but they involve walking or risk to the vehicle from theft/vandalism. Campsites are usually fairly packed if it's nice backpacking weather on a weekend.

Backpack Ohio has a useful forum and eTrails guides/maps.

Craig Roberts

@homer

Locale: Midwest

Hi Andy. Thanks for the nice links. They made for good reading. With the flat tarp, I like the diamond pitch…very airy configuration.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools