Topic

Can I wash my pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can I wash my pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Travis Davis
    Spectator

@rockytop

One of my nalgenes leaked this weekend and got red cool aid all over my Osprey Atmos. Can i put it in the washing machine?

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

I would think so.
    I've washed my pack before.
    I made sure to clip and tighten all buckles and any loose straps or fabric.
    Came out fine.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Yes if it is an unframed pack you can put it in the washing machine. I do this with my packs every once and a while and they come out looking great. I would not put it in the dryer.

Jamie

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I don't think you would want to wash an Atmos in a washing machine. You might try a car wash and see it that helps, although you might want to attempt laundry soaping it up before you take it. You might also be able to dye it, the nylons would die, which is probably what the kool-aid stained, the polyesters wouldn't' take the dye, but you might play around with the colors and make an interesting looking pack.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wash mine in the bathtub to avoid any problems with the agitator in the washing machine catching the straps. Then I hang it on the showerhead to drip dry.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'd try to turn it inside out and use delicate. But the bathtub and a scrub brush is probably a better idea.

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

Locale: Grants Pass, Oregon

I would worry a little about the frame banging around in a machine, but think the fabric would have no problem. I dry my rain soaked tents in the dryer on low heat. After all nylon, polyester and silicone are rather tough materials.

Travis Davis
    Spectator

@rockytop

Yeah after I posted I realized it wouldn't fit in the machine because of the frame. I washed it in the tub, didn't work great but it looks better than it did. Thanks for the responses!

adam peterson

@pacbacker

Locale: The Pacfic Northwest

take it to the car was and use the wand. I did this after have a fox mark my back last winter. Pre treat it with what ever you have around the house and work it over real good then rinse. let it drip dry in your bathroom.

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

I'm thinking red kool-aid might be permanent. In that case don't think of it as a stain but a fond memory of the trip.
    BJ

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I've found car washes (soap and then rinse well) to be very effective.

On packs.

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

I washed the bag off of an old Kelty (classic Red) in the washing machine. This caused the coating to begin to delaminate…. this was the waterproof coating on the inside of the bag.

The next Kelty bag was hand washed gently in the tub, and it came out clean with no sign of delamination.

These backpack bags were each over 30 years old.

The detergent selected was Dreft, a pretty mild powdered one which is said to rinse easily with no residue. Mostly recommended for baby clothes and things.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Six Moon Designs told me to take the aluminum stays out of my Comet and hand wash it. I imagine if you have a front-loading machine with an extra delicate cycle, it might be OK to machine wash, but I wouldn't risk it in a top-loader, which might rip the thing apart.

The stain may remain, but at least if you get the sugary residue out it won't attract bears or other animals with a yen for sweet stuff!

David Ure

@familyguy

I would just use some Oxy Clean with a wet rag. Works like a charm.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

After machine washing my 30 year old, all Cordura daypack, a seam failed from a frayed, cut edge of the fabric. The cut edges were not taped as on good packs now. I had turned the pack inside out since that was the dirty side.

My vote is for scrubbing your pack before and after soaking it in soapy water in the bathtub. Soak it overnight or all day and use a weight to keep it under the surface.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools