Topic

Base Layer for Sleeping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Base Layer for Sleeping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Nick –

@byproxy

Locale: Pacific Northwest

i tend to thrash around a lot in my sleep… so i'm guessing i'd be better off at night with a base layer of some sort rather than a bag liner.

i want something for sure though as if it warms up at night i tend to sweat a lot and don't want to trash my new down bag.

any suggestions? i'd like something that is multipurpose (i.e. i don't want to pack pj's just for sleeping) and don't need something with much insulation properties (if i'm cold i'll put thermals on).

thanks for the tips!

Jack Bauer

@mclovin

How about patagonia capilene base layer?

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

+1

Capilene 1 is my favorite thing to sleep in.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I went with the lightest thing I could find and after a lot of searching went with

Golite DriMove Silkweight Baselayer long sleeve top 2.2oz: This top is insanely light, but unfortunately it has been discontinued and replaced by the 4oz Wildwood Trail Run Top.

Backpacking Light UL Wool bottoms 3.6oz: They are super thin, very simple (no fly etc.) wool bottoms.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Merino wool for me. Comfortable at all temperatures.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would go with a Wool 2 comparable system so that even if you do get too warm and sweat some you are not stinking up your bag.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

No matter what the Merino wool aficiandos say, wool DOES absorb and retain moisture, even if you can't feel it.

Go with a light polyester base layer. I have a nice WM Megalite bag and use light Duofold poly long johns for sleeping only to keep the bag clean.

Cabela's also sells light polyester long johns that, in my experience, last for decades.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

How would you guys compare silk to wool or synthetic?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I sleep in whatever I hike in. Extra clothing is unnecessary weight.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>I sleep in whatever I hike in. Extra clothing is unnecessary weight.

While I'd like to drop my silk layer for sleeping, I still want to keep the bag clean. Dirt, sweat, bug spray, etc can build up on my hiking clothes, and I'd rather keep it out of my bag. Are the dangers of dirty clothes in down bags one of those things that get overblown?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Very likely. Bags are washable just like clothes but then I have never carried a sleeping layer and have yet to feel a need to wash any of my quilts or bags.

Mike C! spends months on NOLS trips and doesn't carry a dedicated sleeping layer from what I remember.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Chris, for the first time this winter, I just crawled under my quilt with my hiking clothes and micropuff on and went to sleep. Next morning, no need to freeze when getting dressed. Just get up! I liked it and will do it from now on.

I'm outside. Dirt, sweat happens. It's all on the inside of my clothes unless I fall into mud or something. If the quilt gets dirty, I'll wash it. : )

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

My base layer for sleeping is my wicking base layer for daytime wear when it's cold. I usually don't wear it while hiking (unless it's horribly cold and windy) but I usually wear it evenings and early mornings when it's cold (I backpack in the high Cascades or the Rockies). Since when I'm outside the sleeping bag I have my hiking clothes over it, it stays relatively clean. Mine is Patagonia Capilene 2. Any lightweight wicking base layer will do, though. It is NOT "extra clothing" or a "dedicated sleeping layer" but part of my total insulation system.

My personal experience with silk is that it doesn't wick moisture well, but either light merino wool or light synthetic works fine for me.

In non-buggy weather, my baselayer top is also my hiking shirt, but I've had too many bugs bite through the porous fabric (even when sprayed with permethrin). I therefore use a supplex (or similar) shirt in the summer.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I like lightweight wool long johns and long sleeve top. Icebreaker 150 is good for most three season use around here (NC). In winter I use Powerstretch tights and a 100-weight microfleece top. And a good hat, of course.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> don't want to trash my new down bag
    Right!

My wife uses a silk liner. I use cover-all silk pygamas (hood and foot covers included). MYOG of course. Both work well, and are easy to wash.

Cheers

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

If you've already got a baselayer + something over it for hiking, the baselayer isn't likely to be dirty unless you're mud wrestling a sumo.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Roger,

Do they have those little plastic soles on the bottom of the feet like the gear I used to wear as a toddler? =D If so, I'll buy!

It's the new snuggie!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I sleep in whatever I hike in. Extra clothing is unnecessary weight.

+1.

You can wash a bag. I do this about once every 10 years.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

So no tangible danger of "oiling up" the down in your bag from a sweaty day of hiking? (obviously by the time camp is set up you're 'dry')

Insect repellent transferring to bag from clothes?

I'm usually pretty good about carrying extraneous stuff, but its hard to ween myself off of down-protecting sleeping layers!–even though I've been thinking about dropping the silk layer…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools