Topic

Ohio trip ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John A

@johna

Locale: Great Lakes State

I'm looking for ideas for an early April 4-nighter in mid to southern Ohio. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

John A

martin cooperman
    Spectator

@martyc

Locale: Industrial Midwest

You might be able to stretch the Shawnee State Forest into a 4-day trip if you do it slowly and use all the trails.

It's a shame you said 'southern' Ohio, as I can see a nice flat 4-day trip just north of me in downtown Cleveland and you get to bag Canada as a bonus.

Marty Cooperman

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I would recommend going about 2 hours further South into Kentucky's Red River Gorge. You will be rewarded with some of the most spectacular overhanging oxidized sandstone cliff-line labyrinths in North America.

One of the many (88 major) arches in the wilderness area:

RRG Angel Arch

One of the convenient bathing facilities:

RRG Waterfall

Sections of the Sheltowee Trace Trail would make a good through hike, but my preference is to follow the meandering ridge lines and use the trail systems within the wilderness area itself. PM me for more detail, or search online. It is an awesome place!

John A

@johna

Locale: Great Lakes State

Nice pics of the Red River Gorge!

I had Shawnee in my sights, actually. Think we'd be able to make the entire loop, plus the Backcountry/Wilderness area trail (another 9.8 miles, I think)? Would you recommend it as an interesting trip?

Thanks to you both!

John A

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools