Topic

Removable momentum bivy top thing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Removable momentum bivy top thing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

I'm planning on adding a removable momentum sheet to my MLD solo inner in an attempt gain the warming benefits of a bivy and the luxurious bug free space of the inner.
    Obviously this isn't ideal, but I'm trying to avoid mailing myself stuff on long trips.
    I've never used a really large bivy, so I'm not 100% this is going to help much?
    Could anyone shed some light and maybe other ideas?

Btw, I plan on running two removable bungies length wise inside the inner from end to end. Then the momentum would be attached to these with some grosgrain or something. Assuming the bathtub floor paired with extra momentum to hang down/tuck under me will eliminate drafts.

Thanks in advance.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Does it really need to attach to the inner? Since you already have a floor, why not enclose the foot, then wrap it under your pad and attach the opposing sides with cord ala Nunatak Arc style?

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Well, that would work, but the idea is that it would just drape over me and I wouldn't have to worry about keeping it tucked under due to the chords. I use a quilt, so if it's cold enough that I want the momentum, I probably won't want the hassle of tucking both everytime I roll. It shouldn't really have to be any larger with the chord set up than it would be wrapping it, maybe and ounce or so heavier, but hopefully more convenient.
    It's probably hard to visualize by my vague description.
    Thanks for the idea though.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

why not just use a wider quilt that offers full coverage and makes an extra layer of m90 un-needed?

-Tim

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Well I've already got a perfectly good quilt.
    I've got a bivy as well.
    I'm going to be doing a big section of the PCT, and I'd like the extra bit of warmth from a bivy, but rather than mail one thing home and have another mail to me then reverse the process after a while, I'd just like to mail one item home.
    Maybe I'm just making this way too complex…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools