Topic

pot stand/wind screen combo problem

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear pot stand/wind screen combo problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

I've been fiddlin with a pot stand wind screen combo..similar to what you see over on zen stoves under the 'narrow windscreen'.

Basically the Al stand is a narrower dia than the pot (in my case a snow peak 1400 ti). So no pegs…pot is NOT recessed into the stand…it sits on top.

I have 2 rows of hole-punch dia holes on both ends of the stand…it still doesn't seem like enough even though the diagram at zen stoves would have you believe it…

the exhaust smells a bit and i'm not getting a complete burn or a complete boil (2 cups, 1 oz of fuel). I really dont think its the stove.

Just add more holes?

edit: running the stove by itself i'm not really getting super nice blue flames…still a little orange and tall…not sure if that helps? (edit edit: going to try different fuel)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Put your pot on the stove/support with the flame going. What is the distance from the top of the flame to the bottom surface of the pot?

Every combination is different, and you need to find the right distance for your rig. However, a typical distance is 1 inch.
    –B.G.–

Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

the zen stove pattern called for 1.5" i think? will double check tonight…

any other ideas?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Is there a difference between Esbit and alcohol with respect to the pot height above the flame?

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

What fuel are you using and what are you changing to?

What kind of stove? (I'm trying to load the zen page, it's going real slow for some reason.)

Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

top burner…open well, no priming…

fuel…in all honesty i'm not 100% i but i think it was the crappy red heet….going to try the yellow tonight and/or denatured alcohol….

thoughts?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, try either denatured alcohol or yellow Heet.

–B.G.–

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Isopropyl has water in it – switching fuel will help a lot. Give the yellow bottle HEET or denatured a try, see what happens.

I just scrolled through the windscreens and pot stands. Still not sure which one – geeze, the options are endless – but if the fuel doesn't fix the problem, try a conventional wire stand and windscreen around the pot. You might be able to get a boil if the heat is more widely distributed across the bottom of the pot.

Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

http://zenstoves.net/PotStands.htm#WindScreen-PotStand

if you go here and look down to step 3…the first section is 'narrow windscreen'

the only difference is that i have more holes than they are showing.

will try other fuel first…

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

The trouble with this approach is the more you open it up to get good air flow (you need to add both top and bottom holes to increase oxygen flow to the flame) the less wind protection you get. Sort of a win, lose situation.

I recommend you go a little further down the zen page and try the riveted tab approach. That's what I use and it works very well both as a pot support and a wind screen.

By the way, they overkilled on the rivets. You only need two per tab.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Gary, this article might help answer your question.

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/esbit_stove_height.php

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Thanks much, Frank–that solves the Esbit issue. Anybody able to surmise the distance for alcohol (or a tea candle, or 3 in a triangle, for that matter)? I feel the need to know, gear geek that I am. I've been playing around lately with these combinations, and any help would be great.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools