Topic

Hueco Tunks…. A!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Hueco Tunks…. A!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

The last several weeks I busted on down to the outskirts of El Paso Texas. "What's there?", you might ask. "HUECO, man Hueco…". is all I can reply.

Hueco is an 860 acre park that roughly 2/3 of is closed off to the general public (except for guided tours). Those areas are closed off to protect the Native American Rock art visible all over the park. Other than that it is a Rock Climber's (specifically Boulderer's) Dream Land.
    H1

As it was a Climbing trip I didn't need much by the way of clothing or gear. A bouldering pad, shoes, etc took care of the essentials. All that sat side by side with my BA SL2 barely touching 15lbs.

H2

H3

Food is really whatever… The outskirts of El Paso have super cheap delicious Mexican food or you can grab a bunch of groceries from the stores near by. I did a mix of both.

In terms of campsites, there are a variety of options to stay in or near the park. But staying outside the park at nearby sites is by far and away the cheapest and most fun option.

Some Views:
    H4

H5

It's really cool to climb right next to Art that has been there for Hundreds of years. It definately adds to the mystique of the desert itself, and makes you feel as though this shared space is enchanted.
    Rock Art:
    H6

Old scrathings:
    H7

All in all a fantastic trip. Got to climb some classics and found some success on some of the world's hardest Boulder problems.
    H8

The End:
    H9

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Nice trip report. You were pretty close (for out here) to Last Chance Canyon. Hear it's good.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Yamabushi! Nice trip report. I just last night got back from a quick overnight in the Guadalupes which is about 70 miles or so east of Hueco Tanks, we passed the turn off on our way back to Las Cruces, NM.

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

Dont know much about Last Chance… seems cool though…

LOOKS LIKE ITS GOTS LOTS OF ROCK CRAWLERS EVERYWHERE… which I've never seen in person so would be cool to see

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools