Topic

kayak float bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear kayak float bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    George Summers
    BPL Member

@jorgoz

Locale: in the flat country of Belgium

Hi all,

I'm in the proces of making a skin on frame kayak, and as with backpacking i like to keep things light.

Would Cuben, bonded with loctite Hysol U-09 FL be a good and strong way and easy way of making kayak float bags ?

Here's a link to some easy kayak float bags,
    http://www.yostwerks.com/FloatbagA.html
    Click on the next page on the top right of the page

George Summers
    BPL Member

@jorgoz

bump

David Wills

@willspower3

What is your reasoning behind using cuben for float bags? Will you be packing the boat long distances? Weight savings in boats seem to have less performance advantage than even bicycle touring, which has much less advantages than backpacking.

Heat sealable fabrics may be a more suitable solution for you. They make them pretty light too, like what Kookabay uses for their pads. I imagine all the sand and dirt my boat collects not playing nicely with a cuben float bag rubbing against the inside of a boat.

Are you cataloging your build? I would love to check out your design, materials and process.

George Summers
    BPL Member

@jorgoz

Sorry, no pics, don't have a digital camera, maybe soon when i finish it i'll buy one to post some pics.

It's a Tom Yost sea tour 15 exp, using marine ply, WRC and probably poly cloth.

Here's a good link on a sea tour 15 build, http://web.me.com/terryreed/kayakBuild/

I just have some cuben lying around, that's all. Problem with heat sealable fabrics is that i have to order them in the States, as i haven't been able to locate any cheap ones in Europe. I found some on extremtextil.de, but it cost 17 to almost 20 dollars for a running metre (+ shipping), and they're heavy (11 to 14 oz/sq yard) compared to questoutfitters heat sealable 4.4oz tafetta

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools