Topic

BSA Leader Training School Offered by Backpacking Light May 21-23

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts BSA Leader Training School Offered by Backpacking Light May 21-23

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Hello All:

In partnership with Montana BSA, Backpacking Light is offering a leader training on May 21-23 open to a nationwide audience:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/wilderness_skills_ii_bsa.html

Please let us know if you have any questions, and sign up for a stock alert if intersted – we will likely be opening registration tomorrow.

In addition, we'd appreciate any help in getting the word out to the USA Scouting Community about this course.

Best,
    Ryan

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Link above in previous post, registration is now open for this program.

Douglas Prosser
    BPL Member

@daprosser

Locale: Camarillo, California (SCAL)

If you are really interested in lightening up your packs for Philmont come on out to Montana for a long weekend & we'll show you a "different" way of backpacking. We'll have you all set for your June, July, August treks.

You will be the lightest people at Philmont!!!

Looking forward to the fun & opportunity to share & learn from all of you.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

Hi Ryan,

I paid for two spots for the leader training class in ultra light backpacking. When I went to the registration page it only has registration for the boys trek the box at the bottom for the leader trek has a line thru it. Was there another registration form that I missed? How do we register?

thanks, terry588

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Hi Terry,

Are you using the page Ryan linked to in his initial post? That should take you to the leader training page and allow you to add it to your shopping cart. You can PM me or email school -at- backpackinglight -dot- com if you continue to have problems.

Thanks,
    Chris

Joe Huber
    BPL Member

@electronic3y3

Locale: SF Bay Area

I hope this course is a success. I would love to attend, but I can't justify the transportation costs this year. (I'm not in an active backpacking troop, but I would like to change that).

I think this is a valuable course and would like to use it to supplement HAT training in our council. We don't have any UL instructors.

michael mercer

@mmercer

Locale: Northern Virginia

Looking forward to the training as the advice from my Council literally has me loading down scouts with 40% of their body weight in their pack – not just nutty but downright unsafe. Thanks for offering the course.

Have access to the company plane leaving from Washington DC to Montana. Can take others or pick folks up on the route if you don't want to hassle with the airlines. You can even bring your knives! Let me know if you want to ride in style.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Too bad this wasn't for the first trek or I'd take you up on the flight. I have a conflict with the May training event.

Ryan, how has the response to this been?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

The response has been outstanding to this course, and we are nearly sold out. I'm trying to figure out how to open up a few more slots :)

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'm trying to figure out how to get the time off for a spot! And wishing Texas was on the flight path between Washington and Montana.

Emil Friberg
    BPL Member

@friberge

Locale: Washington DC

Mike Mercer — could contact me offline regarding your transportation offer? Thanks, [email protected]

Cubby Brendle
    BPL Member

@cubster

Mike Mercer,

I'm also interested in your travel arrangement depending on departure time. Most likely I won't be able to go because of prior engagements, but if you're leaving late I may be able to swing it. If you could pm me that would be great. Thanks

Cubby

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Mike,

I am also interested in details, please PM me or send me an email at [email protected] .

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I don't have a company plane I can use, however, I have a car and am willing on driving from the bay area to Montana for the class if anyone is interested? It will be a long drive but I am use to long hours so no worries there. Any takers? Otherwise, I will use my Miles.

Thank you,

Jason Cuzzetto

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

I've signed up for the course, and I have a question: Is there a mailing address to send TSA restricted items (specifically a knife)?

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

If you check a piece of luggage at the ticket counter you can bring your knife. You just don't want to have it going through x-ray. I bring a knife for work when I travel all the time. I just can't hand carry it on the aircraft. It must be in your checked baggage. I keep mine in my shaving kit.

Thanks – Jason

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

So I have been working the school's list pretty hard.

I am a big guy and have big feet. The Inova-8 shoes didn't cut it for me. Size 13 length was good and the fit at the back of the heal was ok, however the front toe box was crowded for my wider feet.

I use to manage an outdoor shoe store so I have a lot of experience with shoe fit. These would do better for the narrower footed person.

Jason

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

How did it go?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'm still bummed I didn't get to go.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

My post

Sam's post

There will also be an article in a least one of the major Scouting magazines.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

This was my first time at a class that included other light backpacking lovers. On top of it there were Scout leaders from all over the country there to learn from the instructors and from eachother. Everyone showed amazing skills and understanding of the lightweight principals. There were only a few new to lightweight thought, they were geared well.

The instruction again was great. But I learned just as much from the other Scout leaders on the practical application of lightweight backpacking and Scouting. The bug is there. We see it,the interest, but no one knew what to do and we decided there wasn't one answer. There are many. So we are all out trying to teach them.

I am back to planning and reading. I think I know how to approach it. Now to get to the teaching. I am a business trip and a power point presentation away from being where I need to be. But hopefully by the end of the summer I will be somewhere… Here goes!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools