Topic

gear for sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

I understand the new policy but just like craiglist I think you should have to delete the post if the items sells. There is nothing more frustrating then going threw the top 8 posts that authors have updated to say sold.. This is so frustrating. You see the top post and the item looks great then by the time you get to the bottom its sold. aghhhhhhh.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've never found a way to delete a post. You can delete the contents and just put a dot or something, but not the post itself, AFAIK

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

Most fourm boards give you the ability to delete. I haven't tryed it myself but this option would greatly cut down on the pages and pages of sold post that are worthless to search

Del Johnston

@deljohnston

Locale: Heart of Dixie

I too find this frustrating. As Douglas mentioned, I think you should have to replace the title of the thread with SOLD, a dot or similar.

It would be much better, IMO if the threads were simply deleted.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

It's User Training.

The thread Title can not be edited. So going to Gear Swap and looking at Titles will remain frustrating.

But for folks using the 'Search Forums' function, an edited Subject will be seen. IF it has been edited to include 'SOLD' it will tell the searcher to look elsewhere. (And '-sold' as a search element might become reliable.)

There is no way a third party is going to monitor and make that edit. Not here.

So it's up to the OP to add -SOLD- to the first Subject Line. (The bullet at the top of Gear Swap misses this point.)

The challenge is to make that 'cultural' change happen.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

It's handy to keep the thread, since it allows people to get an idea of a reasonable selling price.

James Townsend
    BPL Member

@j21a2t89

Locale: South Wales

In that case wouldn't it be easier to make a Sold subforum and move the sold threads there?

And off subject, could the MYOG forum be split into packs, sleep, shelter etc? Just to make things easier to find.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

"It's handy to keep the thread, since it allows people to get an idea of a reasonable selling price."

Agreed, I find it useful as a buyer and a seller to look through prior sale threads to get an idea of used gear pricing. For this reason, I'm also not a fan of editing out price info after sale either.

Allowing editing of the thread title to reflect SOLD or somehow separating completed sale threads sounds good to me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools