Topic

ULA Ohm Side Compression

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Ohm Side Compression

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

I've been checking out ULA's Ohm pack and was wondering if anyone could tell me how much slack the side compression cords have. I'm basically wondering if I'd be able to store my TT Contrail in one of the side pockets and secure it with the compression cords. As the cords aren't elastic it looks like it could be a bit tight from the photo. Any info. would be much appreciated.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

I think it will be no problem. I have carried a medium size tripod along the side on my ohm and had a bearikade filling up the main body of the pack. The non-stretch cord could easily be replaced with a shock cord if you prefer to do that. The back pocket would also have plenty of room to stuff your shelter into. I carried a duomid and nettent in the back pocket of my ohm.

Ryan

David Ure

@familyguy

I think you would need to do what Ryan suggested – add shock cord. Otherwise you would encroach into the main bag. However, that shelter should fit no problem in the front pocket…..

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

I had my Scarp 1 in its packsack in the side pocket, not behind all of the compression cord but only the top one, and that worked fine. I believe if I want I could fit the whole tent behind all of the compression cord if I'd want to. The front pocket, as mentioned, is likely your best option, though.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Nathan,

The side compression cord on the Ohm is just a piece of chord with a knot on one end and a cord lock on the other.

I think you would have no problem putting a contrail in the side pocket with the length of cord supplied, but in the worst case you could just replace the cord with a longer piece.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Also, you would just need 1 piece of the cord over the top end of the tent. Even with the pack full there should be enough slack to spare for one of the crisscrossing sections of cord to secure the top. Its not like tons of force will be pulling on it…

Greg Padgett

@tmbandt

Locale: here and there

Nathan,

I just checked for you and yes the contrail fits while the pack is empty. It does however (like others said) encroach on the pack volume in the main compartment. My advice would be to either replace the supplied chord with bungee type chord or use the front pocket as I intend to do. It fits perfectly in there with plenty of room left over for rain gear or whatever you'd choose.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Thanks for the replies and thanks Greg for checking that out. Sounds like the side will work well, and if not the front pocket will… I was considering the side option only because I thought that putting the contrail's 1.5 lbs in the front pocket would maybe throw off the load a bit. Sounds good either way though. Another question about the Ohm – how does this pack work with hydration bladders? I use bladders almost exclusively and I prefer to store them inside the main compartment against my back. Anyway to make this work with the Ohm? Is there a port anywhere for the hose? Thanks again.

Greg Padgett

@tmbandt

Nathan,

The Ohm comes with a removable pocket for a water bladder. It attaches on the inside of the pack against your back unless you use a pad as a frame sheet.(There are straps on the inside to hold a pad in place.) If you choose to do this, the water bladder bag will rest against the pad. You can rout the tube over either shoulder as there are openings on both sides.

One more thing about the contrail in the side pouch. I placed the contrail in the side pocket and it completely filled and even stretched it a good bit. It really distorted the bottom of the pack. It would work, but I'm not so sure how well your pack would load and you'd probably need to put the tent in before loading the rest of the pack.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Thanks Greg. While I'm at it, I thought I'd run a couple more questions by you. It sounds like your recommendation is the contrail in the front pocket…does having the weight there affect the stability of the load in terms of carrying? Generally I try to avoid packing heavier objects in that area of a pack. Regarding the pad straps/pad as framesheet:

Do you use your pad as a frame sheet and, if so, is it a better carry when you do so? Also, what pad do you use (if you do) as a frame sheet? I'm wondering how much room there is to work with on the pad straps. I generally use a Ridge Rest but it seems like the bulky, rolled shape could be an issue. What would be the optimal pad for use in this way? Finally, does the pack still carry comfortably without using the pad as frame sheet.

If at any point you get tired of my constant questions just let me know :) Otherwise, any more info. you want to throw out regarding the Ohm would be great. It looks like it would be a killer pack once I get my base weight down just a bit more.

– Nate

Greg Padgett

@tmbandt

Nathan,

Let me say first that I'm no expert with this pack. I actually just received it last week and haven't had the opportunity to hike with it yet. I have however loaded it up and walked around so I'll give you my initial impressions…

I loaded the pack with sleeping bag and clothing in the bottom enclosed in a compactor bag trying to leave them compressed as little as possible. Next went my food bag with about 8 pounds in it. On top I loaded my kitchen, my filter and my neo air rolled up. I then loaded the contrail in the front pocket. By loading in this manner, I was able to really compress the pack using the side compression chord. Made for a nice compact little brick. I didn't feel like the tent threw the load balance off at all but ymmv there. Also to note, this load with pack came in just over 20 pounds and felt great on my back.

As far as pads go, well I'm definitely no expert there either but judging from the room, I'd say a small prolite would fit nicely. I actually have a BA air core pillow that fits in the pad straps like it was designed to go there. Makes for a perfect back pad for me. The pack does come with a thin foam pad you can use as well so you don't have to use your sleep pad there.

As far as other things to consider,… One of the biggest selling points of this pack to me were the hip belt stabilizers and the load lifting straps. This is one of the few really light packs that include those and for me were a big deal. I like being able to adjust how the load rides. This would probably make a difference in how much you notice that contrail in the front pocket too.

I can't think of a whole lot more from initial impressions but if you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer what I can. Heck, I love talking about this pack!

Curt O

@rockstrodka

Locale: Central Florida

>>Also, what pad do you use (if you do) as a frame sheet?

A small ProLite3 folded in thirds works very well. I put it in with the valve closed, pack the remainder of my stuff, then open the valve to let it inflate slightly

I haven't tried the Ohm without a pad; I'm sure you can make it comfortable if you pack carefully. Since I was used to resting my feet on my Vapor Trail while in my sleeping bag, I am bringing a short length of Z-rest to sit on in camp and provide insulation for my feet (my Ohm did not come with the foam pad, which is now included but does not provide much load transfer).

David Ure

@familyguy

A pad for comfort is not needed with the OHM. I never used one in the back panel and it was really comfy. I was careful not to pack pointy things against the backpanel.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Thanks for the info fellas. Curt and Greg: do you guys think the use of inflatable pad/pillow gives you much load transfer or is this primarily a back pad/convenient storage situation? Also, I use a 3L Big Zip Platy for my hydro bladder – it's pretty big (empty dimensions 18.75" x 7.75", tapers toward the bottom). Do you think something that size would work well in this pack?

David Ure

@familyguy

A sleeping pad will do nothing for load transfer in the OHM – the Delron hoop takes care of that. It is for comfort, should you need it.

Greg Padgett

@tmbandt

Nathan,

Like David said, there really doesn't appear to be any load transfer by using a pad in the pad sleeve. It's mainly for comfort and a nifty place to store your pad if it fits there.

As far as the bladder pocket, it measures 16" x 8.5". I think your bladder would fit fine.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

Just use the compression chords on the sides to make sure you pack the main compartment solid. The hoop will do the rest.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Hey Greg, how's the hip-belt on the Ohm? Comfortable/decent padding? Also what do you think of the hip-belt pockets? Where do they attach on the belt? Have any trips planned with the new pack anytime soon? I'd love to hear how it performs out on the trail.

Nate

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Can't speak for the pockets, but I like the padding on the hipbelt. I'm 35" waist and the large is a little too big as far as the overall belt (I have it cinched all the way even with multi layers) but where the pad goes feels very comfortable. It is smaller but if you pack right, it transfers the load well and is very comfortable.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Thanks Jeff. Good to know the padding is comfy, and the info about sizing is helpful. I noticed on their website that they don't do the small hip-belt for the ohm which is a concern for me. I'm a slim dude and I always have to cinch hip-belts all the way down. Definitely will ask ULA about that if I decide to make a purchase.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools