Topic

Outback Oven Ultralight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Outback Oven Ultralight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I'm looking at doing some baking with the Outback Oven Ultralight and am wondering what pan to use for the baking. The info I've seen indicates that the pan size should be no greater than 8 inch diameter. Do you a hard anodized aluminum, or coated pans? Does the baking have a adverse effect on the non-stick coating? Have you tried titanium, or is the titanium too thin, leading to bottom burning? What stoves do you use with the oven? I'm particularly curious about alchohol and canister stoves that have worked well (or not!)
    Thanks,
    Jim

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You want a remote canister stove for best results (and safety issues). You will worry a lot less than if you use a traditional sit on top of fuel canister stove. As well, heat diffusers can kick back too much heat even with a collar underneath and overheat a canister.

I haven't used an OB oven with an alchy…just not controllable for my use, this is where a stove you can dial in on the flame works best.

I don't use my OB often but when I have I use it with a HAA pot, without non stick. No reason outside of it works fine for what I need. I have seen plenty of non-stick pots and fry pans shown being used with it though. The flame is controlled with the baking so you are not torching your pan for extended periods (and you use a heat diffuser which protects the pot).

On Ti? I wouldn't but that is my opinion. It just warps too easy and you are dry baking which could lead to that happening.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

They specify that you must turn the flame way down, and of course the flame must burn long enough for the baking you plan to do. At least the first of those is difficult with most alcohol stoves.

— MV

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I make a riser out of an aluminum cookie sheet and steam bake in silicon cups or a small aluminum pan. I use alcohol stoves that simmer.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

Lori,
    What alcohol stove do you use for simmering? I've used a Triangia with simmer ring, and a homemade pop can stove, but am not very satisfied with the simmering results. I have steam baked in pans as you describe using a canister stove and the silicone cups as well. The silicone is really amazing for ease of use and non-stick. The Outback setup offers a (not ultralight!) alternative I'm evaluating mostly as a method of having more traditional baked as opposed to steamed results.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The FeatherFire stove seems to work pretty well for simmering, or so a few folks on here have said.

http://www.packafeather.com/

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I have a simmer cat, like the super cat and a wick stove (no longer in production) from mini bull designs, that is very fuel conservative and simmers for 20-30 minutes on an ounce.

I am also working on a setup similar to the Brasslite baker. No water, very light. But rather than buying the Brasslite kit I'm DIY-ing. (Brasslite is another simmering stove, but I don't have one.)

I have been tempted to order the Outdoorequipmentsupplier.com stove set with the dedicated simmer stove… dedicated simmering stoves seem to work a little more reliably.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Jim… I am well versed with both the Outback Oven UL and the Plus 10. For the UL I use an older MSR Duralite non-stick pot. Sometimes I use the 1.5 litre but often, because there are 3 of us, I will use the 2 litre.

Because you are baking at the lowest settings on a stove there is no damage to the non-stick surface.

Titanium is not a good conductor of heat and will result in uneven baking as well as scorching in spots.

For stoves… use something with a remote canister. I've extensively tested the Outback UL on the following…

– Primus Himalaya (this one doesn't simmer so well so you need to keep an eye on the convection dome or you may have some serious scorching)
    – Primus Multifuel (with remote canister – see note about the Himalaya)
    – Brunton/Optimus Nova (this would be my second choice – really great simmer functionality)
    – MSR Dragonfly (this is my top-choice – best simmer on the market in my opinion)

I know that these stoves don't necessarily fit the UL way of doing things. I do find that I use much less fuel with the MSR Dragonfly on longer trips than with an alcohol stove so I save the weight there instead… plus it's the single stove for 3-4 people.

You can use the convection dome for other things too. It makes a decent enough cozy and it also will reduce your fuel consumption if used when heating other foods in colder weather.

It's not good for use on something like an alcohol stove but there are other great ways to bake using alcohol stoves as has been mentioned already. It also isn't a good idea to use this on a twig stove.

I have to say the the Outback Oven UL is probably my favorite piece of gear.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I also meant to mention that the riser doesn't really protect the pot as much as it evens out the heat and gives the food the space it needs away from the heat of the flame. Just like using the middle oven rack at home when you are baking muffins. If you had them on the bottom rack the bottoms would cook fast and the tops would be undercooked.

Being able to have this…

Chai Tea Breakfast Cake

or this…

Cinnamon Buns

on a trip makes the extra weight very worthwhile.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools