Topic

TImberline trail in late June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips TImberline trail in late June

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

I am thinking about doing Oregon's Timberline trail in late June or the first week of July. It's been a low snow year in the PNW, so although it seems a little early, I think we might pull it off.

I am looking for advice and gear reccomendations for the trip, estimated low temps, weather conditions, need for traction devices needed, whatever you've got.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

The Timberline Trail washed out in 2007 and is now permanently closed at the Elliot Creek crossing near Cloud Cap on the NE side. The area is considered to be too unstable to make repairs worthwhile and you risk a bad fall and serious injury if you try to go around the closure. See http://nwhiker.com/MHNFHike58.html

The rest of the trail is still open on both sides of the closure, but you no longer have the option for a (legal) complete loop. Rangers will cite you if they catch you trying to cross the Elliot glacier.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Is there an option for exiting the trail and getting back on at some point to complete the loop?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Yes, but it involves a car shuttle between two trailhead parking lots – or 2 cars – and a retrace of part of the route.

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Top_Spur_Trailhead

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Cloud_Cap_Trailhead

I did the TT before teh washout, and were I to do again, I'd start from Cloud Cap. Walk the 1/4 mile or so west to the closure at Elliot Creek and return, then go south ( counter-clockwise) around to the other side of the closure, then back-track to the PCT and go north 1/8 mile to the Top Spur trailhead. Turn left and walk 1/2 mile down to the trailhead parking lot and your vehicle.

Another alternative I've not tried would involve the Elk Cove trail from the TT down to the Elk Cove trailhead parking lot. The biggest obstacle is the lack of any E-W roads on the north side of Mt Hood. It's a long, round-the-mountain drive from Cloud Cap to any of the other trailheads. Try calling the ZigZag ranger station for alternates. 503) 622-3191. Monday-Friday 7:45am-4:30pm; Monday-Saturday 7:45am-4:30pm

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Elk_Cove_Trailhead

timberline trail map

Good luck. June may be too early for snow-free trail.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

well, I haven't found much more information about the closure, I'll call a ranger to get a better sense of what the deal is with that. We might have to make it an out and back. I will be doing this in one form or another.

The original question stands: weather, traction, snow conditions, etc. Any advice is welcome.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Thanks Bob, we must have been posting concurrently.

Doesn't sound too bad if I can arrange a shuttle. I'm thinking late June/1st week of July. If the snow down there is anything like up here right now, I think this might be the year for an early attempt.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools