Topic

I cant stay warm in my Golite Ultra 20

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique I cant stay warm in my Golite Ultra 20

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

You mentioned "a damp 40 degrees". Were you, the quilt, and the rest of the stuff you slept with relatively dry?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

FWIW, my Ultra 20 weighs 19.21oz and the person I bought it from added a bit of down to one of the baffles which was underfilled. I think most Ultra 20's are right about 19oz without the straps.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My Ultra 20 is 18.95oz without the straps and I have used it down to 24* fairly comfortably with only a silk weight baselayer top and bottom, though I think that is nearing the lower limit for me.

I use a BPL Pro 90 Balaclava with my quilt, A fleece balaclava should have been warm enough at 40* though. There are so many variables that it could be, many of which have little to do with gear. Have you used that pad combo before? I hear some people rave about how warm the Neoair is, but others seem to find it cold at 40*.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Go back to your WM bag. Personally I struggle to keep warm in quilts no matter how much loft they offer. Not everyone sleeps warm with a quilt (unless it's a super long super wide one like I use at home). Or you can add a bivy to you sleep system, but I can't stand the claustrophic feeling of sleeping in a bivy bag

Aaron W
    BPL Member

@adw245

Locale: Chula Vista

I broke down and got a scale. My ultra came in at 19oz on the nose so I don’t believe it under filled.

Yes It was the first time out on the Neoair and the thinlite. But I normaly only have only a pack under my feet.

Yes it was very damp. My girl thought it had rained it was so wet inside from condensation. I don’t believe this degraded the loft and the quilt never touched the shelter.

There are so many variables that it could be. I will test some things out and give it another shot before I go back to the bag.

Thanks again for all your help.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools