Topic

Hiker in Need!! can you help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hiker in Need!! can you help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Don,

I have a brand new Wetfire Stove Ti, which looks like the BPL esbit wing stove, which is yours for the asking.

Do you need any BPL storage containers?

I have some extra BPL Mini Dropper Bottles, Mini Balm Jars, Mini Pill Flip Top Case, and Mini Vials.

Do you need DEET? I can fill one of the mini bottle up with Deet and label it for you too. Campsuds soap? I can fill a bottle of that for you too. Hand sanitizer in a mini bottle too?

4 L Platypus Water Tank, older version with gusseted bottom that stands more upright than the newer shorter, squat gas can style one. In good condition, but the top zip closure is a bit hard to close. I have one of the newer ones that I can send to you, but it does have a pinhole leak at the top that I have patched with a Platypus patch, but it drips a little bit. Fine for in camp water storage if you are hauling up water from a stream, but not water tight for carrying water in dry stretches of the trail…I can try to patch it with silicone if you would like.

I have some 2 L Platypus bottles too…though they have been modified with metal grommets punched in at the bottoms…..meant for a gravity filter system to hang upside down from a tree limb.

Also can toss in an assortment of small zip lock bags that I picked up in Singapore for storing things like pills. Not waterproof like the Aloksaks, but helpful for organizing your pack.

Misc things like travel tooth brush (new of course), mini tooth paste tubes, some individually wrapped baby wipes.

Think that I have a bunch of candy cane shaped aluminum stakes too…six I think.

Batteries for headlamp? (Let me know what size you need….sounds like AAA from what has been generously offered by others).

This might sound odd or maybe make you uncomfortable, but once you have a better handle on what has been provided for you, maybe a 2nd request for the other little things that you might need would be helpful so we can help you fill in the other needs that you will have for your trip.

To everyone else, for shipping purposes, you might want to look into the Flat Rate Shipping Boxes…free box for US Postal Office might be a cost effective way to send items.

Don….feel free to PM me on what items you might want and I will be happy to get them out to you.

Sorry to hear about your troubles….if there was someone who needed to hit the trail, it would be you.

Good luck to you and safe journey on the PCT.

-Tony

EDIT: PM SENT TO DON, WAITING FOR REPLY OF CLARIFICATION IN REGARDS TO THOM'S CONCERNS/STATEMENTS.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

I have a Ray Jardine MYOG quilt I would be happy donate, only issue (kind of) is that I am in Australia, would be willing to split you on the shipping cost and the quilt is all yours.

Cheers
    Mark

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Don,
    As you have had many replies, PM me with what you still need and I will scrounge it up and send it to you.
    Mike

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I don't have much that I can part with, but I have the following:

Tri-sided stakes
    Snow Peak Ti Spork
    3AAA flashlight
    Brunton Compass
    OP Sack
    64OZ High Sierra hydration bladder
    Dropper bottles (some BPL)

Let me know if you need any or all of it. Send me a PM. The items may be redundant, but on a 3000mi hike, you're bound to need a replacement of something.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

In the past I had stepped up to willingly and generously provided assistance in a big way. I will only say that I was left feeling very disappointed and remain so today.

Many BPL members have stepped up and given freely and this, in principal, I encourage and applaud.

When asking for and receiving help do not take advantage of the kindness and generosity that has been shown.

Walk the walk and make us all proud by filing one heck of a trip report. If things work out that you can not walk the PCT please contact the individuals who have generously stepped up with assistance and offer to return the items.

If you (BPL members) inquire privately I would hope the recipient of the kindness shown is forthcoming and honest in his reflection of past generosity and of his actions that still today harbor my disappointment.

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

EDIT – Waiting for reply on PM.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

@Tom Darrah: I hope we get to see one heck of a TR too. I wish Don the best on the trip, and hope he remembers and appreciates all the people here on BPL who are behind him, and got him from Mex>Can.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Joe G. +10

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Locale: Minnesota

Don,

If you want Mark's (Australia) quilt over the other bags offered, I'll pay the other half of the shipping.

Have a Great Hike!
    ==============================

Mark,
    If Don asks for your quilt, PM or email me ([email protected]) and I'll Paypal the requested amount to you.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

@ Travis

"there could be an amazing trip report at the end of it all. I think there could be a lot to learn from taking on the PCT with your situation. Many of us clamber over the newest and best gear, but don't give much thought on how happy we'd still be out on the trail, even with a complete set of donated gear."

I had a great learning experience recently, along these lines. I had just moved back to CONUS from Germany and had a long weekend free that I didn't want to waste, but my baggage hadn't caught up with me yet. So I did a three-day solo hike in Great Sand Dunes with a pack, a rented sleeping system and solo tent, food, an alcohol stove and pot, my Leatherman Micra, and not much else.

And I was ecstatic.

I started shedding gear after that…

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

When you know what you're short on, let us publicly know, and I expect the community will be forthcoming.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Is there a list now (Feb. 19) of what Don has……and what is still needed?

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Don said that his internet access is borrowed from his sister when he can- so it may take him a few days to post again. I think that's why he posted his phone and address. I'm sure he'll pop up again, though.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

nm-meant to be a PM

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What size clothes & pack/torso length?

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Height, Weight, Shoe size?

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

With the items listed and committed? I might be able to get it done tomorrow but it's work today!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I'll do it. I'll start with a skeletal listing and put it up in "The Cloud" so people can add their items, make changes, etc.

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

Hey Don – I have plenty of stuff that I can send as well but it's looking like things are getting pretty well covered! I can add a Tarptent Cloudburst to the mix, evafoam sleeping pad, size large tops, medium bottoms.

The list that Ben has offered to build will help guide both us and you. Truth to tell, looks to me like you will end up pretty well equiped to start.

At some point, it might be helpful to build on the idea of helping with food drops, pre-paid gift charge cards mailed to pickup points to assist with on the trail exspenses (like shoe replacement, socializing, etc.) Happy to help with either. I mirror the hope that you'll shoot an occasional post along the way if opportunity allows.

Godspeed.

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

Hey Don sorry to hear about your trouble. I have some clothing I could help you out with if you're into wool. The shop I worked for was the first in the US to carry Icebreaker so I have more tops than I know what to do with. I could send you a full run of 190, 200, 260, 320 but they are all in XL. If this will fit you I'd be happy to send a care package of wool. I can do bottoms too if this doesn't gross you out hahahha. 200 and 260.

Also have a used Pocket Rocket and Titan Kettle I could send your way if you don't want to go with alcohol stove. Thought spirtits is going to be a lot cheaper than the MSR canisters.

Just send me a PM if interested whenever you can get back online and check this thread. Or you can email me at [email protected]

Good luck Don and take care.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Folks,

I've built a simple Excel spreadsheet. To add items, please:

1. click HERE .
    2. Find the proper gear category.
    3. Within the proper category, try to group like items together.
    4. Indicate item name, description, size, etc.
    5. Indicate your name (as shown in BPL)
    6. Note that everything listed is considered a gift — unless you indicate "Loaner" in the remarks column!

Don — please indicate your height, weight, torso size, etc. in the area highlighted in RED.

I've left this document editable by everyone.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

This Community is AMAZING!
    This isn't the first time I've seen something like this on BPL. It is incredible!

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

I can help you with the re-supply at Snoqualmie Pass (Washington). I can leave a package for you at the Ski Gas Station.

Email me [email protected] with what you need, approximately by when you'll need it to be delivered there, and I'll buy it for you.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

You have to log in at google to save your changes, btw.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Lori:

There is no "save" function on the spreadsheet. Whatever you add or change will simply remain.

As the document creator, I can log in and do a formal "save" — and I'll do that from time to time.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools