Topic

Montana?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

Can someone recommend a Montana trip for Late Spring or early summer? I would like a 4 or 5 day trip covering 15 to 20 miles a day in an area where I can use my new Tenkara rod.

The most limiting factor is that I would prefer something close to an airport served by Horizon so that I could avoid a rental car.

I have never been to Montana but maybe "The Bob" near Kalispell? I would prefer to avoid the trails with heavy horse use but am open to ideas.

Thanks,

Greg

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Its a bummer you weren't going a little later (or me a little earlier). I've got a trip planned to hike east to west through Glacier Park in late July early August. We're doing a 60 mile trip that could be done in 4-5 days, though we're doing it in 7 nights to really soak it in.

Maybe PM Sam Haraldson on BPL staff. He lived in those parts and knows many of the trails in the area. But, sorry I can't help with your actual question though.

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Really depends on what you want to do and how much snow we get. It's conceivable if the snow pack picks up that many trails will be under 3-6 feet of snow.

Late Spring here is the end of May first of June ;)

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Travis,
    That sounds like a nice time! I am actually not commited to any certain months yet. From what Joe says, that would be a better time.

Joe,
    I guess I assume that most places in the West are a little low on the snow pack this year since Seattle and the mountains here don't have much. The coastal states have been really affected by El nino as evidenced by the Olympics up in BC.

I would like to go somewhere fairly remote, avoid snow, and get some Tenkara fishing in hopefully on a beatiful river. I suppose in my mind I would prefer higher mountain meadow type areas.

Greg

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Greg,
    Not to try to push our agenda, but we'll be driving through Great Falls, Montana, which has an airport that services Horizon Air. I'm just thinking that there'd be a *remote* possibility that we could help each other out with logistics, and meet a fellow BPL'er!

I'm just putting that out there, especially since our plans aren't 100% set in stone either.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Hey Travis,
    Let's keep that open and see how it would work out.

I am at the tentaive plannng stage right now. I am trying to fit in a few more trips this summer. So far I am going to the Grand Canyon in May and climbing Rainier in June.

Besides the MT trip I want to get in a Kayak trip and a bike trip- so there are a few things up in the air, but Glacier could be good. July is kind of out, but August may work if not early Summer.

Greg

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Sounds like a fun summer for you!

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back about our reservations in Glacier, since they do a lottery system for all reservations received between Jan. 1 and April 15. So we're not exactly of our itinerary yet.

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Seriously, it can be hit or miss here that time of year. My Avatar picture is of Coffin Lake around July 9 of 2008. A week before that pic was taken, there was still 2 feet of snow there. Coffin Lake is just a few miles west of West Yellowstone.

While our snowpack is off a little this year, we still have not went through our heaviest month which is the end of March until around first week of May. All you can do is keep your eyes out during April or plan on bringing snowshoes :)

You would honestly be better making a plan for late June as opposed to early June.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Last year most stuff in the mountains was still melting out in early June. It melts out fast, but if you to backpack, see the good stuff, have good fishing (ie not murky), and avoid postholing and so forth, July or August (or September) are better choices.

As for flying in somewhere and getting out into the woods and back without renting a car, I'm not sure how you'd do that. Public transit and shuttles really don't exist out here.

As for trips:

There have been several threads on Glacier recently. Tons of good options. Not the most fishing-centric local.

The Bob is amazing. After Le Parcour I want to get back into the central east side and do some fishing, and see the China Wall area without floundering on snowshoes.

A great scenic and fishing trip in Yellowstone would be to hit up Shoshone Lake, the upper reaches of the Bechler River, and the Upper Firehole. Thermal features, lakes, meadows, streams, woods, and wonderful, engaging small stream fishing for some very smart little trout.

Oh, and keep us posted on your intentions and plans. I (we) might be able to help out. I'm not sure what my plans will be after graduation in May.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Thanks for the input guys. I will take your word for it and move the trip later in the summer. I will look into the places mentioned.

I read that Kalispell was only 30 miles from the praking for The Bob. i figured I could hitch to the trails if need be.

I will keep you posted. Travis is going to be out there later and maybe other BPL'ers would want to get together as well.

Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools