Topic

Sleeping pad selection-BMW torsolite vs neoair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping pad selection-BMW torsolite vs neoair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

My base weight is about 11# right now. I use a full length ridgerest, and GG Mariposa (uses pad as partial support). I have two goals-drop packweight, if possibly, and sleep more comfortably than the ridgerest, which weighs 1#. I can get a 66" NeoAir at 14oz and sleep on a cloud, or learn to get comfortable with a SUL torsolite pad, and perhaps a short chunk of ridgerest for my legs which would go in Mariposa while hiking. Those using the torsolite, is it a learned skill to sleep comfortable on that small of a pad? I roll around while sleeping-side,stomach, and rarely back. Or go with the Neoair, sleep like a dream, and lose the weght elsewhere. Drawback to it being that it is not all that insulated for shoulder season trips, meaning I may have to take something else during that time. As for losing weight elsewhere, I use a 20 deg down bag, and may try the quilt thing someday. Which pad is better if I try a quilt, and what has the learning curve/comfort level been for those using BMW torsolite?
    Thanks for the thoughts!
    dana

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Even reading the torsolite description should clue you in to the fact that as toss-and-turners, we're hosed man. It mentions having enough other padding to accommodate the rest of your body with other padding.

If you don't have said padding, especially as a multi-mode(tm) sleeper, don't even abuse yourself. That's the conclusion I've come to.

I'm also a full length RR user, and after tons of reading, self loathing, and masochism, I've decided to become a full length NeoAir/DAM/Whatever user.

To quote numerous movies and other BS'es: "It's a third of your life man!".

Drop it other-where. You can't side-sleep with your pack under your knees dude, unless you have a pocket-chiropractor.

edit: drunken spelling. (wait, am I going to have to re-edit?)

Richard Rini
    BPL Member

@rarini

Locale: Southeast

Dana,

I toss and turn more than a dust particle in the middle of a tornado and use the Thermarest (similar size as the Torsolite) and a Golite Jam2 for the rest of me (it lays pretty flat). I don't have much difficulty with it but I must say I have perfected the art of sleeping on my back and side. The only time the shortened pad has become an issue is camp site selection and I mean when not on level ground. I have had the pad shift on me and that can certainly be a complete pain and annoyance. With a little ingenuity I fixed that problem. Now here comes the disclaimer…I can sleep on my back without issue but tend to just shift frequently (side to side, side to back etc). Although I sleep on my stomach in a regular bed I rarely find myself sleeping on my stomach while camping. So I could foresee some issue with that. I think it really comes down to training yourself to sleep differently (adapt to the conditions). I find when I’m out camping I can sleep for longer periods on my back
    But like Javan said, if you’re going to be miserable then suck it up and carry a little extra weight for the comfort and good sleep. There is nothing worse than not being able to sleep and just waiting for dawn to arrive!

Ric

PS- Dude, nice cabinets!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

When I first looked at the TorsoLite dimensions I thought there was no way I would be comfortable sleeping on it. Despite that, I ordered one for WT3 in 2008 and used it combined with a 3/8 ThinLight pad. I slept under an MLD 7.5 oz XP quilt on snow and was quite comfortable. I also roll around from back to side to stomach during the night. I had zero issues staying on the pad or under the quilt.

For reference, I was using a MontBell 90 pad (standard 20" wide with no taper) for my torso prior to the TorsoLite switch. I also have a 72" NeoAir which I use during warmer months. I don't really sense a comfort difference personally.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I have been using a 36" Prolite XS over a 36" ridgerest (14 oz. total) for everything except snow and really cold weather. It is the most comfortable I have slept in years. I too roll around and have no problem staying on it. One of the advantages is you can partially deflate the Thermarest and get the hip and shoulder hole effect for side sleeping comfort. I am 6'1".

I also use it as the frame in my SMD Starlite and it works great.

pads

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Like Chris, I felt the Torsolite COULD NEVER possibly work. But the shoulders and hips actually fit and cushion where it's needed. A real eye-opener for me.

Now to find that elusive slow leak!!!!!!!!

David Ure

@familyguy

I had a Torsolite and found it much too short (six foot 1 inch tall), even if I put my pack under my feet. My Torsolite weighed in at 10.1oz. For an additional 4oz I have a regular sized NeoAir and have never slept so comfortably in the backcountry. In terms of comfort there is honestly no comparison.

Mike S
    BPL Member

@mikeylxt

Locale: Maryland

Now I will caution that I am by no means an "ultra light" backpacker. I do consider myself lightweight though….anyway.

If you have trouble sleeping on thin pads the weight difference of the Neo-Air v other thinner setups is negligible. I would argue that a good night of sleep will allow you to hike better/further then simply carrying a feel less ounces.

Just my 2 cents

Robert Recinos

@rgrrecinos

Locale: Redwood City

I agree with Mike on being comfortable and getting a good nights sleep is important. I first bought the GG nightlight pad. It is a great pad, just not for me as my main sleeping pad. I am not comfortable. I bought the Torsolite and is is awesome. I toss and turn when I sleep I can't help it, and I don't blame it on the pad. I have an expensive King bed and I toss and turn some people are built like that. Do I get excellent sleep YES I do. I own 2 Torsolite's. I loaned one to my friend after raving about it to him, and he can't stand it. Everyone is different, buy some pads try them out if you don't like them return or sell them and go get another.

People love Neoair and some don't. People love Torsolite and some don't.

Also Dana I have looked for a REI store close to you but it is 8 hrs away still in MI. They have a 100% return policy so you can buy pads and return them if you want. Hope you find the pad that is right for YOU….

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

Thanks for the :drunken thoughts, cabinet compliments, and sleeping pad experience. I may go for the neoair, and when fall hits if i get cold, experiment with other
    options.
    Dana

Todd Hein
    BPL Member

@todd1960

Locale: Front Range

I'm 6-2 and 210# and I could never get comfortable using the Torsolite. I bought the Neoair and slept like I was at home…I'll add that I toss and turn a lot even at home so I needed something more foregiving on the ground. P.S. I sold the Torsolite and ordered a Neoair repair kit (just in case).

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

This is such an indvidual preference/need that no rules hold fast. Some people just don't need as much insulation as others, or some folks are just better at site selection. You just have to try different combinations (not a cheap method).

Fortunately, I don't need a lot of insulation to sleep comfortably. My system depends on location and season.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools