Topic

Havasupai Falls Input needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Havasupai Falls Input needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey guys, I'm trying to head down to the Grand Canyon, and specifically camping at Havasupai Falls in the next couple of weeks (Feb 25) and im hoping someone can let me know a little more about conditions down there around this time of year? The lows are projected to be around 25-35. I plan on camping at the designated campground near the falls. My knowledge tells me that its always the coldest in the valleys…so I'd imagine that where I will be camping, I'll be suffering from the brunt of the winter temperature lows? Anyone ever done it around this time when it was raining??? Would love to here your input

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

hikearizona.com

fwiw, its Havasu falls. Supai is the indian villiage near there, and most ppl. combine the two to make a non-word.
    anyway, here's a great link:
    http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=58
    the link above leads to the hands-down best website that is trail related in the country. stay a few days.. lol

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Whoa, thanks for the great link…and the correction as well.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Konrad, it could be pretty cold down there, or it could be nice. Generally in the Canyon in winter, if you are in the sun and out of the wind, things are quite comfy. Nights are long, and you'll be in a ditch on the north side of the canyon, so they'll be longer. I'd definitly bring a puffy jacket, and instep crampons or microspikes for the first 1500' of descent.

Jonathan DeYoung

@jdeyoung81

Locale: New England

I went down there mid march of 2001 on spring break for about 4 days and I recall being in shorts an t-shirts during the day and being very comfortable taking swims in the pools beneath the falls.

Nights did cool off enough to require some warmer clothing and we did have 20 degree bags in 3 season tents to keep us very toasty.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools