Topic

Anyone Tried the REI Kimtah eVENT Jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone Tried the REI Kimtah eVENT Jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Has anyone tried this jacket? Any particular likes / dislikes? Verber?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No one at all? Really?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Sorry Ben. I am still using dri duck / rainshield on most trips and switch to the montbell peak when I need something a bit more durable. I know that in theory eVENT should be better, but my eVENT showers pass biking jacket doesn't seem to have significantly better performance, so I haven't felt compelled to try any of the current eVENT jackets for backpacking. Maybe when my Peak finally wears out.

–Mark

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Verber:

I was looking at this to replace my MontBell Peak shell — thinking that eVENT will be even more breathable. But you seem to be less enamored by eVENT vs. MontBell's Breeze Dry Tec?

And yes, I have the Driducks too — very, very breathable.

Hal Potts

@halpotts

Locale: Middle Tennessee

I have an REI Shuksan jacket made of eVent that looks very similar. I really like the breatheability and it has become my go to jacket – I just add layers underneath as needed. It is supposed to be waterproof but I have learned that if you walk in the rain for 3 hours you will still be mostly dry but not completely dry. The instructions state that it should be washed frequently and ironed with a steam iron for best performance and I think the ability to repel water is very much dependent on this. I rarely take a steam iron to the jacket so I may not be getting the max performance. I would be interested to hear from some of our BPL technical fabric people on this subject. All in all I really like the jacket and use it a LOT because the ability to breathe well always makes for a very pleasant hike.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

eVENT is more breathable than Breeze Dry Tech… but it's not THAT much better. My experience continues to be that breeze dry tec + pitzips keeps me more comfortable that eVENT without pitzips because I was better able to regulate heat.

Interesting I have been trying to compare my driducks to the showers pass eVENT jacket that has pitzips. Since I am doing at least 10 miles each day on my bike, and the conditions in Palo Alto don't change much, its a decent "lab". So far, the dri ducks are holding there own, even when I open the pitzips on the eVENT jacket. This is mostly 35-55F temps.

–Mark

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hal — thanks for the feedback. I believe the Kimtah is simply a thinner, lighter version of the same thing — for 3-season use. I'm still keeping an eye out for it.

Verber — Yeah, them Driducks are pretty hard to beat. I wear them a lot more than my MontBell Peak. I do wish they could be less "fashion challenged". Thanks for your feedback.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Ben, If you're in the market for eVent, look into the rab drillium. Its lighter, the same price, and even cheaper if youre okay with the 08 edition

http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix.asp?GroupCode=rab0019&MatrixType=1

http://www.prolitegear.com/rab_drillium_jacket.html ( Link to 2008 ed.)

I have a 2009 edition and love it. From what i can tell, the rei one has hand pockets that are going to be unusable with a pack hip belt on. Not the case for the rab's hi-rise pockets. The only complaint i have about the drillium is that its european, so the zipper is on the opposite side. It's probably b/c im not use to it, but the zipper doesnt pull up in one fluid motion and sometimes binds. But then again, the REI has an unnecessary velcro zipper flap that will probably bind anyways, while the rab eliminates this flap by using a waterproof zipper. Also worth noting…drillium is not helmet compatible BUT it does have a wire brim hood. The stowaway hood is kind of gimmicky, I always leave mine out. Worth a look imo

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Now this is a new item and it REALLY interests me more than the original REI eVent parka. That's B/C it's lighter. It's not UL but it's only one oz. heavier than my size Large, Tall Cabela's GTX PacLite parka, albeit $150. more.

Hmmm…, Hmmmm… gear lust strikes again.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ben – try wearing your driducks jacket with a rain skirt and SunDay Afternoons adventure hat. Now THAT is fashion-challenged. No one will even notice the jacket.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Kathleen, very helpful! :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Konrad:

Thanks for the pointer. How do these jackets run in size? I'm 5'9" and weigh 150lbs. You think Medium is right for me?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

That actually is my rainwear system

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Yeah, I was initially worried about sizing, because their chart seemed to run smaller than others, but I still find that they run very true to size in reality. Im 5'9 as well, and 140lbs give or take, 38' chest. In the past I've comfortably layered a merino baselayer, a power dry pullover over that, and a patty R2 fleece over that. So I would say you are fine. If you've been getting mediums with your other items of clothing, than a medium should fit the same.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Konrad — Curious, is yours a Medium or a Small?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

haha oops. I bought a small, so yeah thats why i think a medium will be fine

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

5'9" here too but 172lb

medium is too tight but would be long enough
    large is fine with the arms too longs, i can layer close fitting layers but not a large fitting one like my BPL medium cocoon, its much too close at the armpits compared to the cocoon.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Gentlemen – thanks!

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Ben: I have a 2008 Drillium in Medium. I have a 37" chest. It is true to size. I also bought it in medium (I also generally wear a small from most manufacturers.) to make sure it would fit over a lightweight puffy jacket (MB Thermawrap Parka). Try it on before you buy. The collar (whether the hood is rolled in or out) is high and may bother you. Also, the sleeves are really long, and can be frustrating.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

i second matt's opinion on a few things. Not sure if i could layer a puffy under it, havent tried…but as mentioned, 2 fleece layers over a baselayer was fine. I think longer sleeves are better than shorter…they don't ride up when you reach for anything. Also good for using trekking poles in the rain, as you can cover more of your hand. Either way, there is a velcro adjustment so you can cinch them above your wrist. They changed the hood on the 09 edition, so it has easier (and maybe even more) adjustability. I dont get a sense of a high collar when the hood is unfurled, however I do feel the high collar when i have the hood tucked in. And echoing what matt said, it can be a lil uncomfy. When you stuff the hood back in, the collar becomes very stiff which makes you notice the prominent high collar…hence why I thought the concept was a little gimmicky, and so i never use it. If the weather is really wet and windy, my hood will be up anyways. And if its not windy, then I dont need to worry about my hood flying in the wind, so that eliminates any need for me to ever tuck it into the collar. I can maybe understand needing to tuck away my hood when im bombing down a hill while snowboarding and the conditions are dry, but for outdoor hiking, hoods always out.

Also Matt, did the 08 have fleece to separate your lip from the zipper?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

The '08 had a thin fleece liner behind the zipper. It's great.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

> wearing your driducks jacket with a rain skirt and SunDay Afternoons adventure hat.
    > Now THAT is fashion-challenged. No one will even notice the jacket.

Ah.. well.. hmm.. you left off the bright blue vibram five finger shoes. The shoes will get all the attention. No one notices the jacket.

–Mark

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

The trees care not what you look like…

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"The trees care not what you look like…"

So true. But if my girls had seen me Saturday on our lunch break wearing my rain skirt, which adds a lot of warmth during a break, by the way, and my dri-ducks jacket, they would have grounded me.

Ben – just stay with the dri-ducks. Besides, if enough of us wear this dorky stuff, it becomes fashionable, right?

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

please provide pictures for evaluation of fashion merit… and for a giggle :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools