Topic

Carbon Fiber/Composite (whatever) toxicity?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Carbon Fiber/Composite (whatever) toxicity?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Hey guys, working on a project I don't want to share until it's finished, but I need to know about the toxicity of carbon fiber for use in cookware.. Specifically carbon fiber arrow shafts.

It would be coming in contact with heated liquids which would be ingested..

Is this safe? Does anybody know?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

My wild guess is that thermoset may be safer. See if you can find out what resin or epoxy is used, then check out the msds for it. That's the biggest factor, unless a clearcoat was used. You may also want to check out the release agent, although a good wash and scrub should get rid of that.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Ok, well, it'll work for a prototype I guess.

The internal diameter of the carbon composite arrow I have on hand is perfect for my application though.

Thanks Eugene. Anybody else that can elaborate I'd appreciate it, finding out what these guys use sounds like it might be a chore, they might not even know themselves.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I know that carbon fiber is not safe to breathe, and use both a mask and goggles when cutting it, and shower and wash my clothing immediately afterward. Would not want to risk ingesting it either.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Breathing it is totally different. That's partially because when it's cut, fibers are thrown into the air that can cause issues when it goes into your lungs. It's not good to breathe any fibers that don't break down, including fiberglass or asbestos, and think, fiberglass is just inert glass.

Now when laying it up, the fumes may be noxious, but this goes away. I have a 3" diameter carbon fiber tube a few feet away from me. Made by the Air Force for space programs in a research lab, so you know it has some super top secret deadly little green alien poison, but I wouldn't hesitate to sniff or lick it. Okay, maybe I would hesitate, but that's only because I use it to massage my legs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools