Topic

Back Pad Sleeve and Foldable Foot Mat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Back Pad Sleeve and Foldable Foot Mat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

This is hardly cutting edge craftsmanship, but wanted to share my modification to my MLD Revelation pack.

I like bringing a small pad with me to use as support in my pack, as a pad for sitting on in camp, and to use under my feet when sleeping in combination with my short NeoAir.

I used some 30D silnylon and sewed this pad sleeve into my Revelation. I folded the top twice to get a nice edge and then I sewed the sides into the seam allowance. I didn't sew it at the bottom. Lastly I used some spare velcro to hold the top closed. Total fabric weight is about 0.4oz.

Pad Sleeve

The result is that the pack has some structure which makes it easier to load. It's also much easier than if you just toss the pad into the pack loose because this way the pad doesn't slip down and get in the way.

This is all pretty basic stuff, but the main reason I wanted to share was to show my fold-able pad idea. I cut two custom shaped pads and hinged them together with some zip ties. My plan is to replace these zip ties with keychain rings in the near future for a more finished product. This total pad weighs 45g (1.6oz)

Sleep Pad 2

Sitting on this pad in camp is great because each layer is 1/2" thick so it forms a comfortable 1" thick sit pad. When used as a sleep pad it folds open to create a pad roughly 18" by 20". My short NeoAir is 20" x 47", so with this under my feet is essentially have a full length sleeping pad.

So for 0.4oz of materials and 1.6oz of sleeping pad (2 oz total), I have a comfortable sit pad, pack structure and a warmer nights sleep for my legs. Cost was $10 for the blue pad (WalMart) and a few dollars worth of silnylon.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools