Topic

Boil-In-The-Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Reynolds
    BPL Member

@magrenell

Locale: New England

This may have been covered in other threads, so forgive the repetition (though I'd welcome a link).

I've been using the FBC method with okay results; usually, any failure on my part has been the use of not-so-great ingredients, but I'm plotting better results.

My question is: is there a Freezer Bag that's safe enough to put into boiling water without it melting to the sides or (especially) the bottom of the pot? I'm thinking in terms of those boil-in-the-bag meals you can sometimes get.

Thanks.

Tim.

JR Redding

@grinchmt

You definitely don't want to use traditional freezer bags to boil. Neither manufacturer recommends it.

Check these out. http://www.mqpackaging.com/cookingbags.htm

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

Like Joe suggested, I've heard oven roaster bags will work for this (though I have not tried them myself).

You could also try sorbent systems bags here and here.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

For submerging meals in a pot of water try Food Vac bags. They are rated for it. You can even get precut quart and pint bags.

Vac bags are much heavier/thicker than freezer bags.

Sarah Welton

@campgirl

Here are some Boilable Bags that are rated for submerging in boiling water. Also some Cook-In Bags that you can use to rehydrate your meals in.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Packaging-c76.html

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I've always used regular freezer bags without a problem. I don't put them in the pot, but rather pour the boiling water into them and then put them in a cozy of some sort, usually my hat. I have never had an issue.

JR Redding

@grinchmt

No you wouldn't have issues doing that… However if you put them into a pot of boiling water which is what the OP was asking about, you would have an issue.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

My boys in our troop cook scrambled eggs in heavy freezer bags by placing them in the boilling water.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I found these. Don't know if they will work for this particular application.

steam bags

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools