Topic

Six Moon Designs 2-person Haven

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Six Moon Designs 2-person Haven

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

What about the LightHeart Duo as a competitor to the Haven?

http://lightheartgear.com/duo.html

Haven't read much about it here, wondering if anyone has any observations or experience with it. A touch heavier than Haven + Net-Tent but the somewhat steeper walls make me feel better about it taking any snow.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Ron, what is the height (i.e. headroom) measurement?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I think that will have to be my new online name…seems like whenever I comment on a thread it instantly grinds to a halt!

Anyway, I'm also curious just how *much* more wind stable the Haven is than the Refuge (which I just bought on the closeout sale at SMD).

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

HAHA…that made me laugh. I actually went and looked at your latest posts and there actually is a few where you are just left hanging.

OK, back on topic. I also have the refuge and while I love it, it has some serious wind stability issues, so I would hope the Haven fixes that problem. Mine actually blew down one evening…maybe I didn't pitch it properly, but it never seems ultra stable. That said, it's so stinkin' light that I just deal with it. :)

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Steve, where were you (geographic location and terrain) when it blew down, and how strong a wind do you think it was?

And do you use the additional stake point to guy out the walls?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

The Haven is a very nice design. Was hoping to see a nice double wall supported only by trekking poles and here it is.

Are there any downsides to Cuben, besides fraying in sunlight and cost? About how many trail nights would a Cuben tent last?

How much more do you guys think a Cuben version of this tent could cost, based on prior Cuben models of existing silnylon tents?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Ron, any chance you could provide a breathable fabric/mesh inner, with fabric walls along the bottom half or 3/4 of the inner tent?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

The weight range of this tent puts it close to the TT Double Rainbow, which is not a true double wall tent, however, I saw that TT provides an optional fabric inner for it, though not sure from the photos if it's a full fabric inner tent with walls, or just a fabric layer just below the roof of the tent with no walls. Anyone know if the DR has a full fabric inner with walls?

Size seems similar as well. The DR can be pitched free standing with trekking poles along the sides.

I would imagine both these shelters are pretty wind stable. While trekking poles (Haven) tend to be stronger than tent poles (DR), the DR curved shape may help shed shifting wind.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Steven let's see how much blaze orange we can fill this thread with…

MIchael MacCormac
    BPL Member

@mmacc

on the DR the mesh inner liner hangs just below the "roof" of the tent. This will provide a barrier from dripping condensation or misting from falling on people under the roof segment of the tent. As seen on the website it will not form a continuous inner fabric/mesh wall- but will provide a suspended roof under the tarps silnylon roof. The lateral walls will consist of the net doors forming a inner wall for the silnylon doors

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Sorry to break up all the orange but my inner gear geek can't stay away from threads involving cuben and tents.

The Haven is spec'd at 36oz vs. 40oz for the TT DR, but I imagine the DR weight includes stakes, so the weight difference is pretty minor (1-2oz). The main choice seems to be whether you want a double wall shelter (Haven) or a shelter that uses poles (DR) which could then be freestanding with trekking poles. I can see benefits to both, but I'd choose the double wall given the choice. One other difference is that the Haven appears to have a lot more headroom. The Haven has fairly vertical walls, whereas the DR wall slope inward a lot.

The Haven is going to offer a tempting list of features to lure Refuge X owners like me:

1) Interior mesh pockets for gear
    2) Dual Doors and Dual Vestibules
    3) Wider floor
    4) Corner struts to make the full floorspace usable.
    5) Offset trekking poles to create a larger door and more headspace to sit up from sleeping.
    6) Double wall design to eliminate condensation worries

Are all these benefits worth the 8oz weight gain? It's very tempting for sure.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Very helpful comparison. Do you think a Cuben Haven will offer that much better performance, other than not stretching/sagging when wet, like silnylon?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I haven't used my cuben Refuge X very much yet (I only got it 2 months ago or so) so my experience is quite limited. My early impressions are that even if weight was equal, I would prefer cuben for a tent canopy (not the floor) over silnylon. Non-stretch/sag is a great characteristic of cuben, although the design needs to be excellent to take full advantage of this. I also like how cuben is absolutely waterproof, so short of cuts or tears, even after years of use it's going to keep the water out. There's not going to be misting or wetting out of the fabric (which also adds weight) or the wearing off of the silicone.

I was somewhat scared by the 0.6oz cuben when I first got it about how strong it was, but the more I use it the more confident I get about it. With that said, 0.74oz cuben might be the ideal material choice for shelters. That's what BPL and MLD are using in their latest tarps. Bonded 0.74oz cuben seems like a real winner. There are some nice colors coming out too. The green and blue that Granite Gear is using in their uberlight stuff sacks are both really nice colors in real life. With that said, the colored cuben isn't really less transparent than the white stuff. White 0.6oz cuben is about as easy to see thru as green 0.6oz cuben. Heavier weights are less transparent, although I'm content with the transparency of 0.6oz cuben. In broad daylight I wouldn't want to get changed if strangers were right outside the tent, but around dusk or if people are +20 feet away then it's a non-issue.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

We just used our new Haven this last weekend, but the weather was too good to give a performance review.

I'm normally a tarp and bivy camper, but my wife isn't. She requires a lot more creature comforts than I do. So the Haven is our compromise for when we go together.
    We were initially going to get a Lunar Duo, but after some research, I think I prefer the smaller footprint and steeper walls. I even prefer the double wall aspect, which I thought I wouldn't like.

My initial thoughts:
    1) The inner/bathtub floor is an inch or two narrower than a queen size mattress. Plenty wide for two people.

2) It has a very long interior and the steep walls allow you to use almost all of the length.
    Tall couples should love this. I am 6' 0" and I had a huge amount of space between me and the head and foot walls. We ended up storing items in this space instead of the vestibules.

3) Very good headroom, right were you want it. Another thing that tall people will appreciate.

4) Ventilation was the best I've ever experienced inside of a shelter with fully closed bug netting, vestibule doors open. Makes this a great hot weather shelter.

More to come….

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools