Topic

Stovemaking possibility?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Stovemaking possibility?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

And I thought the Guinness can was nutty.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/miller-beer-soon-in-selfcooling-cans-168882.php

Could it be the case that once you’ve pawned the Miller off on your brother-in-law and drained out the chemicals, you might be able to reverse-engineer this can into a heating vessel? Not for another year, of course.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

There were some self-heating cans a while back (would have been great for soup), but unfortunately they paired it with some NASTY sugar-free coffee drinks (tasted like soap)… always thought the idea had some merit, but it’s probably very earth unfriendly…

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Yup, a lot of waste. I had a couple of the self-heating MSR meals they sold a few years ago and, while they were great for snowshoeing day trips there was a *lot* of stuff to tote and throw away.

With the self-cooling can, I was thinking that it could be adapted to become something like a Jetboil pot, with all those heat-exchanging chambers and all. Will need to dissect one at some point!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools