Topic

Foam type and source for straps and belts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Foam type and source for straps and belts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    R Z

@taylor

Locale: z

Erich Foster

@erichlf

You could always use a sleeping pad. Yoga mats are heavy aren’t they?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Shoulder straps: 1/4″ closed cell foam used for lining automobile tops. 1/8″ closed cell foam used under hardwood floors. For applications needing more padding, sleeping pads work pretty well.

Ryan P. Murphy
    BPL Member

@rmurphy

Locale: Virginia

I personally use neoprene foam for packs and I couldn’t tell you about its recycled content or lack thereof. If the yoga mats are made from recycled/reclaimed material then go for it. Something that might be worth looking into are recycled foam carpet pads. They come in all sorts of thicknesses starting at 1/8″. Most are made from open cell foam scraps so would need to be sealed in some way, but if your intent on a recycled product they might be worth a look. I have no idea how well this material would actually function in real world use, but it’s an idea.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Just curious what kind of foams you’re using for backpack shoulder straps, framesheets, and hipbelts

Closed cell EVA or PE. Minimum of EVA 40 or PE 40 – the lighter stuff fails under load. Open cell is useless. Reconstituted foam is poor quality – more glue line than foam. Neoprene is very high quality, but expensive. The really light stuff is a bit fragile.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools