Topic

hey stomach sleepers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) hey stomach sleepers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

If I am a stomach only sleeper who is looking for a bag (not quilt) does it make sense to only look at bags that do not have hoods?

James E Naphas
    Spectator

@naphas

I’m a stomach sleeper at least some of the time, and I like bags with hoods. I just flip over with the bag, so the hood is over the back of my head and the opening ends up facing the ground or whatever I’m using as a pillow.

Of course, the corollary of how I use the bag means that I wouldn’t get a bag that only has fill on the top, like a big agnes.

Erich Foster

@erichlf

I am a stomach sleeper also. I have a hood on my bags. I actually like to have my face inside the hood. I am strange like that.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> does it make sense to only look at bags that do not have hoods

You can lose up to 40% of your body heat through your head. Reckon a hood might be the lighest insulation around.

Hoodless bags are suitable for nights over 80 F.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I too am a stomach sleeper that tosses and turns all night (poor sleep ability, especially in the backcountry) that ends up getting my bag all tangled up. Funny though, when it is cold I tend to sleep on my back with everything sinched up. No problem.

Erik Sund

@sundek

I sleep pretty much like Ken, tossing and turning a fair bit, but favoring my stomach or side. My main bag is a hoodless bag (Feathered Friends Vireo) and it does quite well for me when combined with a jacket (which I would carry anyways) in the spring or fall or at higher elevations. It’s also fairly important to have a good hat along. Depending on the weather, I may have a light merino cap, an Integral Designs Primalid, or even the Jacks ‘R’ Better down hood. Again, I’d already be carrying the hat anyways.

Roger’s point about the importance of having insulation for the head is very important, however I wouldn’t go so far as to say that hoodless bags are only good about 80 degrees. I like my Vireo and think it’s great for many kinds of trips.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

I rarely use the hood on my bag for the original purpose of drawing up around my face. I find it so uncomfortable to sleep like that. Rather, I use the hood to keep my pillow in place and cinch it slightly around that to keep in steady. I always wear a hat though to keep my head warm.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

agree that my hood is more of a pillow holder too.

Anonymous

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I think I will go with a summer weight hoodless bag and combine it with a hooded down vest. This will boost the temp of the bag and keep my head warm. Also I will have some insulation for around camp at night. I think I will be more comfortable with this type of setup. Thanks again people.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools