Topic

Rainpant Modification

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rainpant Modification

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Burt

@idroptapul

Locale: The Smokies

I have an old pair of Helly Hansen rainpants that I’d like to lighten up for trailwork. They are made of a polyurethane coated nylon (Helly-tech) with a mesh lining. Removing this lining will likely cut the weight in half, but was it intended for more than just comfort? I’ve had stuff sacks with a similar polyurethane that proved pretty susceptible to interior abrasion. Is the lining protective?

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I can’t give you a definitive answer, but most PU coatings are pretty sturdy and I suspect that sliding mesh is just as abrasive as skin. My experience with PU nylon is that it is slightly sticky when wet, and the mesh between you and the PU coating keeps the nylon from clinging and increases moisture transport. If you’re doing trailwork you’re likely to be sweating a bit, and I think you will appreciate the mesh.

Laurence Daniels
    BPL Member

@gnr

Locale: Boston

…with 1st generation Gore-Tex jackets and pants. Best decision I could have made at the time as it really cut weight off of both. The two-layer stuff is always too hot for me, so cutting out the mesh helped with that too.

I did not notice any difference in waterproof performence, breathability(not much anyway) nor durability of the outer material when I experiemnted.

Joshua Burt

@idroptapul

Locale: The Smokies

Thanks for the comments. I think the mesh will have to go. My skin-out weight hiking to a work site has gotta be pushing 40lbs. with tools, logger boots, Carhartts etc. Any way to shave some ounces is a winner. Any other trailworkers who’ve tried lightening their kit? Titanium pulaskis?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools