Topic

20 denier .9oz ripstop at Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 20 denier .9oz ripstop at Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Has anyone tried this? How does it compare to Momentum? The price is lower.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I imagine you'll get some reply about how "Momentum fabric has undergone strict such and such by people who know better than we do about what's gud"

But really, it's just a trade name used by a couple peeps to differentiate themselves from everyone else..

Sounds about like the same thing to me. Although I'll take *impartial* advice if it comes from someone more in the know. I imagine it's the same stuff you can get from DJ at TiGoat.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I understand it is supposed to be basically the same as Momentum. They don't have it in stock yet, but they they do have .9 oz tafetta in stock.

Hopefully they will even cut fractional yards, and the wholesale price blows Thru-Hiker's prices away.

I've got the urge to start a new quilt project, so I'll probably have to order from Thru-Hiker, as I don't know that I can wait another month for OWF to receive the product.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

"I've got the urge to start a new quilt project, so I'll probably have to order from Thru-Hiker, as I don't know that I can wait another month for OWF to receive the product."

In another thread Titanium Goat offered to sell yardage of 20d dwr nylon for about $10 as I recall. If you can't wait you may try to contact them and save a few bucks.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

The quilt kit from Thru-Hiker is still a cheaper way to go when making a down quilt. (mesh is free when compared to getting the 20D at OWFINC wholesale and the down from T.H.)

I got some samples of the stuff from OWFINC and compared it directly to M90 i had on hand, i couldn't tell the differance in any way. Looks exactly the same to me. Now my samples were very small but i am satisfied enough that i changed my pricing to reflect using the OWFINC material.

-Tim

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Now, if I can figure out where Warbonnet and Outdoor Equipment Supplier are getting their waterproof spinnaker fabric for their hammock tarps, I can avoid the high prices of Thru-Hiker. I can't buy the spinnaker yardage to make a tarp for much less than they are selling their hammock tarps for…

I agree on the Thru-Hiker kit being the cheapest route for down quilt materials, but I want to make a synthetic quilt. Wonder why Thru-Hiker doesn't offer a synthetic quilt kit?

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Synthetic quilts are pretty easy if you can sew. IMO it's the easiest MYOG project outside of stuffsacks. No real patterning, just 3 big rectangles (or trapezoids if it tapers). Stack and align them in this order: insulation, shell, shell. Make sure the outside surfaces of the shell are facing each other in the stack. Sew three edges, reach inside, pull it inside out so your seams and the insulation are inside the shell layers. Sew the final seam, and you have a basic synthetic quilt. Tim explains it much more eloquently than I do, but it's literally that easy for a basic quilt. This is using Climashield, which requires no quilting, merely stabilization along the edge. Watch those seam allowances!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Tom,

Have you called Thru-Hiker to see if you can buy the quilt kit with synthetic insulation instead of Down?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Tom,

You can also get the Climashield at OWFINC.com The have HL in 5oz and green in 3oz, they will be getting some even warmer stuff in the future.

-Tim

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

>I think i am going to make up my own name for the 20D stuff so that i can say it's better than those companies using the "old" stuff.

I vote for "Marshallmentium". That price will certainly change how I was going to make a quilt.

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

[Now, if I can figure out where Warbonnet and Outdoor Equipment Supplier are getting their waterproof spinnaker fabric for their hammock tarps, I can avoid the high prices of Thru-Hiker. I can't buy the spinnaker yardage to make a tarp for much less than they are selling their hammock tarps for…]

I can tell you where, but you've got to buy 100 yards at a go, which runs a bit over $1000. It'll be a while before I delve into Spinn for that very reason. Unless you really really want to make your own, at this stage in the game, you're often better off buying one already made.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

scrap spin and use cuben!!

-Tim

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Tim have you weighed the new OWF material? I assume this is calendered like the momentum?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

it will still be about a month before they have it in hand. I can't tell the difference between the sample they sent me and the m90 i have. Looks to be the same, and i have heard from other sources that is exactly the same thing. Paul at Thru-Hiker told me he doesn't know if it is the same so please be sure not to call it momentum90.

-Tim

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I think I will call it "eNertia" (eVent)

or maybe "Retained Energy 90". (Momentum)

Perhaps "String Theory 20d" (Quantum)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Perhaps "String Theory 20d" (Quantum)

No, no, no. They only go up to 10-D most of the time.
    :-)

Cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools