Topic

Novice PCT gear list draft 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Novice PCT gear list draft 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Andrew:Will be getting a cheap synth shirt and spending the 58 bucks elsewhere. I can just picture you walkin around town in that shirt…oh wait, that will be me too in a few weeks :)
    At the moment for clothes I am thinking just a shirt, wind jacket, and trash bag. Should cover my bases, right? I dont care much about getting wet, just cold and wet. As long as I have a dry quilt/tarp area I should be ok.
    I am taking your advice and investing in a good quilt. I have narrowed it down a bit, can you shed your 2cents? Posted this on another thread, with no real luck…

Option 1: Quilt Kit 800+down Momentum90 and MLD Superlight bivy total cost: approx. 370USD Total weight: approx. 29oz

Option 2: enLIGHTened Epiphany XP with 6.2 or 5oz combat synth insulation and .48 cuben Approx cost: 280USD weight: 20-22oz this option relies on the use of the cuben to get rid of the bivy. Tarp will be carried in each option.

Can you (or anyone else) comment on those choices, or come up with something else? Tim said I should be good with 6.2oz with many 20*nights or the 5oz with only a few 20*nights considering the VB.

Mike: Yeah he told me 220 USD. There is no way I am going to spend that much. I am thinking about using the BV500 because its much cheaper. Seems like to buy a new one is the same price as to rent one, about 65 USD? weird…

Dave: Thanks so much, I look forward to reading it. Very cool :)

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

If you can DIY, Ray-Way's kits are very reasonably priced, especially as they come with very detailed instructions for the novice, as well as first quality materials; get the "Alpine Upgrade" for a total of $85.

If you already have pattern (it's really not too complicated) You can go slightly cheaper ordering from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics: 2.5yds 5oz Climashield XP ~$35 (perhaps more, I'm not sure how these weights work vs other thicknesses), ~$30 for 5yds of 1.1 ripstop.

A trash bag might work… give us a report! I used a modified run of the mill umbrella and found it very effective and moreover pleasant to have as walking shade. For $25, a Go-Lite dome is very cheap, 100% breathable rain (and sun) protection.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Andrew: Thanks so much. Looks like I might be going with the enLIGHTened quilt after all. It is cheaper than making a quilt and getting the bivy I want because I can use it without a bivy. Lighter as well. Guess everyone convinced me that I need to spend the $ to get a good quilt-the rest (except shoes) I can cheat more on.
    I will give a report of the trash bag for sure, along with the rest of me gear when I get back. Just cant wait to leave!

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Dave:
    Wanted to let you know that I got the book in the mail today. Its really great. I sat in a coffee shop all afternoon reading it, can't get it out of my hands! Thanks so much.
    Evan

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

Don't let the world convince you that you need a bivy, or a vapor impermeable quilt. Useful, to be sure, especially in extreme situations, but I think you would be more comfortable on the PCT with a regular quilt and good technique. You might get some serious internal condensation camping high in the Sierra, but for 90% of your nights that are not there, you'll be better off with something a little less extreme. A simple synthetic quilt will work well; and indeed, sequester your mothers quilting skills.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Wow, so I read this entire set of posts with interest. I hike the Here is some infor that may help you:

Expect the temps to drop below freezing some nights you spend over 8,000 ft. It isn't unusual. I went with a down bag for this reason. I froze my tail off with bags rated over 30F. I prefer a 15F. I use them like a quilt and I love being able to pull the hood over the top of me.

Go with the Thermarest closed cell pads, they are cozy. They work great, you won't slip off of them on uneven ground and they are plenty warm. You will pay $30-45 depending on size. I camp where I drop and I don't eat where I sleep, except for a . Good for dealing with bears. You usually won't see them if you practice this. Also, put the shirt you use during the day with you bear canister. Practice eating leaning over the bowl and not over your clothes. It looks funny but keeps the food smell off of the body. Don't give them a reason to lick you :)

Stoves – The White Box stove in a tuna can stove works best in the Siera for me. I have made at least a dozen others and I like the versatility. You put the white box stove inside the tuna can stove for quick boiling or heating of water. The thing about the alcohol stoves no one seems to mention is you need to prime them and get the body of them warm. The combo of these two work so well that I got faster boil times. If you areally interested I could take some pictures and measurements of what I use and send it to you. Also you can make a pot cozy with metalized bubble pack and flume tape. I even have one for my bottle.

I use the BPE Nalgene bottles to cook my home made dehydrated meals in and my bag meals. then when I rinse the bottle out I drink it. You said calories were an issue. This helps you get every bit. Plus the measuring cup is right on the side of the bottle. Eat chocolate or your favorite candy bar at night, I call this supper, to get the added calories and fat you need in your diet. Don't forget the fat. I tried one of those low cal fat free trips and it was really horrible. Lots of things go wrong if you don't get the fat and calories you need. Especially at altitude. For a cheap home made goo you can find at stores along the trail I pick up Peanut Butter, Honey, gram crackers, coconut, marshmallows, and choclate or chips. That will cover the fat and calorie needs.

Also, freeze dried meats are a winner add to any meal. They will help with flavor and protein. Cheese is designed to last a while. That is why it exists. Expeirament with a few of these on the trail and it is also a good add for fat and calcium when you get sick of the junk food. There is lots of good flavor here.

OK, the pack. Everyone says use this and that. I have bought 6 different packs. All light weight (I have 4 kids, they are the best excuse for buying new gear). Here is what I have found in the Sierra. The Golite Pinnacle pack is the best size/weight/cost value. I have purchased all of these on clearance too. They are tough, 1 lb.10 oz. and you can use a pad to roll and hold it open (just like using the pad to hold the Army Duffel bag open, drop your shelter in the bottom, sleeping bag in the middle, bear canister on top of that, and whatever else you like to have access to on top. I actually am able to avoid stuff sacks for my bivy, sleeping bag, and tarp using this bag. It is really tough to. I used it's smaller cousin the Jam for 9 months continuosly with loads to 30 pounds (yes overloaded) and it is still in good yet used condition.

You are going to have an amazing time. I hope to live long enough and healthy enough to do what you are doing. I wish I would have gotten this bug when I got out of the Infantry.

Oh yeah, if you are man enough (haha) use Dr. Bronner's soap for doing dishes, washing yourself, cleaning wounds, and brushing your teeth – no not kidding, it isn't that bad. Otherwise just carry some baking soda for the teeth.

PM me if you need anything. I don't mind doing a resupply for you at some point if I am in town (I travel for work). Plus any excuse to get out. I have 4 kids who are just now asking to try backpacking again. So I have had several solos in the last few years. I would love to feed you some good dutch oven cooking on a trail day off if you are interested. By the time you get to Northern Cali you will be able to teach me something. The campsite and food will be my treat. Let me know if you are interested and I can work this with you as you go. Anywhere north of and including Sonora Pass (Stanislaus National Forest) would be best as I love these areas.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

hey there- sorry I didnt see this earlier, I have been having problems with a virus that shut down my computer. I will be using a warm quilt as you suggest as I sleep really cold. I also use my bag like a quilt, so I figure I should just use a quilt this time and save the weight.
    I will also probably get the thermarest ccf pad. I am cutting up the cheap blue pad I was going to hike with for a cozi and other such items, so I will need a new pad. Hopefully I can find one here cheap (I know they are cheap new too, but trying to save every penny for trail food.)
    First time hearing about bending over while eating to not attract bears- clever idea. Wouldnt want to get near that tongue!
    Can you send me a picture of your stove setup? I have an alcohol stove I am bringing along to see how I like cooking. Never heard of a white box stove and tuna can setup. Each time I use the alcohol stove however I have not needed to prime it- lights up right away.
    Calories are a huge issue because I cannot afford to lose weight. At 6'3 and 145lbs, I want to gain some weight even. Was planning on eating the highest fat/protein foods I could cram into a "food bullet" canister.
    That goo sounds tasty! I hope I can find those things along the trail. I love PB, but will probably hate it after the trail. I dont want that to happen though!
    Freez dried meats like beef jerky? that would be good, I like those, but they tend to be expensive. Are they found easily on the trail?
    You sure have used a lot of packs! I think I am going to stick with my ULA catalyst. I would like to change, however cannot afford a new pack at the moment. Hopefully on day! However I do really love the catalyst I have- what a great piece of art.
    I cant wait to get out on the trail! all this advice and planning will finally translate to happy miles under my feet. I can almost feel it now.
    When were you in the infantry? With kids it can be difficult, but it seems you are able to get out at least a little bit.
    Using Dr. Bronner's soap sounds good for everythin…except the brushing my teeth! I would take your advice for that…but find it hard to wrap my mind around. Will probably go the baking soda/powdered tooth paste route
    I will send you a PM if I need anything, but it will probably be difficult once I am on the trail, and I dont like to plan things this far in advance. However it would be nice to meet ya (or anyone else here on BPL!) on the trail where we belong.
    Dutch oven cooking? Never had it, but sounds awesome! And sharing camp with a fellow hiker is always great in my eyes. I'll send you my contact info in a PM. Thanks again, and cant wait to hear from ya!
    Evan

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Hey there-
    Can someone offer advice on how to lower my pack weight according to the new, updated list? Thanks…
    Evan

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Replace the trowel with a Montbell trowel. It'll save about an ounce, only costs a couple dollars, and you can order it with your umbrella and snow shovel to save on shipping costs.

Use lithium batteries to save a little weight there, plus get better performance in the cold.

I forget, why do you have a backup light? The sun will be setting later when we start hiking, plus the moon will be out early and stay out most of the night for the first few days. And then the days will continue to get longer.

I've been considering replace the curtain on my Sunrunner hat with noseeum/nanoseeum mesh to reduce weight and heat buildup. It wouldn't provide as much sun protection, but I think it'll offer enough shade. I'll order some material and give this a shot.

Ugh, that axe.

You'll need more fuel unless you only intend to cook a few times. I think you can conservatively use 1/2 oz to heat a cup or two of water under optimum conditions. I think an ounce is closer to the amount you'll actually use unless you optimize the stove (add a wick) and really practice with it. I know I had a difficult time lighting a cold stove when temps were around 40 degrees, which resulted in lost alcohol due to evaporation. This is with a firesteel and 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Oh, and edit your post on the first page to delete your email address. It shouldn't be needed anymore and attracts spam.

Btw, I used one of my down jackets this weekend. It got rained on a little, but still held a lot of its loft which came right back shortly after the rain stopped.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Hey man. Thanks for commenting on the updated list, havent gotten any interest in a while. I'll have more updating to do this evening after I get my hands on my friends scale. After reading other people's gear lists is doesnt seem they use trowels…is this just missing, or unnecessary? Not sure about the backup light. I read a few posts and PCT gear reviews saying that it was very important to have a backup. I dont like carrying 4oz in headlights though, so maybe I will skip it and go dark should the batteries run out till the next resupply?
    Let me know how that mesh on the hat goes. I should be getting mine in the mail in the next few days. What a cool thing that hat will be.
    Yeah totally a bummer about that axe. Of course I would like to go with the suluk one you have or the camp corsa but they are so much money! Got this one for 20 bucks. What can ya do? :) I bet it will work though!
    I'm really hoping to cool as little as possible. If I need to I can bring more fuel, maybe in a small coke bottle. I'll analyze that situation once we start in…2.5 weeks!! Yeah man! Will probably need a lot for the snow course too.
    Took the e-mail off, thanks.
    When did you use the jacket? While hiking, or in camp?
    Evan

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

You don't really need a backup light. The XP2 has a battery indicator. But I carried a little photon light (1/4 oz) that I used a couple of times when I let the batteries run down. Nice to have something for camp chores, but the elite seems like over kill for a backup.

Most folks used a tent stake or their trekking poles to dig cat holes. A don't recommend the trekking poles as a lot of those same folks complained about how fast their tips wore out. I titanium nail tent peg (.4 oz) worked well for me. Just break up the dirt and scoop out with my hands. Real nice in the rock hard sierras where I could use a rock to pound in the peg. Hard to do that with a trowel. Plus it's got a dual role as a backup tent peg.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Awesome-
    trowel and backup light taken off the list for a total weight savings of 3.5oz!
    I do have to carry 12 stakes though for the tarp in case I get bad weather. Seems like too much, but I tried staking with 6 and it wasnt too good. Maybe 10 and if I need it, look for sticks?

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

titanium or lexan spoon could always double as a stake!

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Nice multi-use idea!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I used my down jacket while taking a break a couple miles before the Lagunas. I also used it in camp most nights since I'd get bored and wouldn't want to get into my bag yet. I only set up my Hexamid one night, and that thing added so much warmth that I didn't need any extra clothing to stay warm.

As for the trowel, I don't see how people dig catholes deep and fast enough without a trowel. Now I know most sources say to dig a 6" hole, but if I did, it wouldn't be deep enough. I dig up to about 9" across, 4" wide and about a foot long. Even with my little Montbell titanium trowel is still takes a while. It'd take forever with tent stakes or a trekking pole, and I probably wouldn't get deep enough in rocky soil with the heel of my boots. Maybe if you have one of those big (and heavy) snow stakes. That said, I have a brand new plastic trowel that you can have if you haven't already bought one. I don't know how well it digs, but if the blade is hard enough, you'll be digging catholes much faster than I can.

I'm sure the Montbell trowel would make a decent stake. I should've tried it out.

Sticks should work, especially if you bury them. Actually, I think you'd have to bury them since my attempt at using sticks as stakes last week resulted in a lot of broken sticks and pullouts. I'd want adjustable guy lines if I was burying them though.

Oops, gotta add one thing. Look for a soda bottle with a 2-liter bottle cap. Then you can use this:
    http://www.packafeather.com/fuelbottle.html
    I wish I had a cap like that last week so I could retrieve unused fuel.

20 more days.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Still think I'll skip the down jacket. Weighed all my stuff today. My underware legging things are only 4oz! I was impressed and will probably bring them. Going to update my list now.
    Evan

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Ok, first off, the back up light is a good idea. Just not the one you had. A Photon Freedom keychain LED light (comes with a clip to mount to your hat) only weighs 0.2oz and they are very bright even if their battery life isn't the best. The reason you need one isn't because the batteries of your primary light may die, but rather because you may loose it. I lost 2 flashlights on the PCT at different points and was glad I had the spare photon light. Another hiker I know lost his headlamp in Washington and had no spare. He actually tried to hike in the dark to make camp behind another hiker who had a headlamp; it wasn't pretty.

I personally couldn't function on the PCT without at least a tiny light so I would have had to cut my miles and completely change my hiking style if my only light died or got lost. To beat the heat, I often got up at first light or even when it was dark so I needed a light to pack up. Many times it would be dark by the time I got into bed. There were times it was so dark I couldn't see my hand in front of my face when I got up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. It'd be embarrasing to trip in the dark and injure yourself while partly exposed.

I used the 1.3oz metal Montbell Handy Scoop for a trowel and was glad to have it as some places have really hard or rocky. I didn't have to use my hands in the dirt either.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

I thought I would post quickly about my experience with some of the gear on the first 100 miles of the PCT. Here goes…

Thorofare Pant 4.4 oz *Really great. Light, durable, draw cord closure. Could not be happier

Running shoes-currently own 3 pair 11oz *Nike Pegasus- great shoes, very well ventilated

ExOfficio Hiking Shirt 6.7oz -Love it. Lots of chest pockets and flip collar for the sun. Not too hot.

OR Sun Runner Hat 2.8oz -also good. I like the sun flaps.

Thin liner socks .7 oz -No issues.

Suunto Core watch 2.3oz – I have to set the altimeter alot, and had to figure out the proper setting of the compass declimation. Havent figured out the alarm yet. I like that it gives the sunrise and sunset times for each day so I can plan the days hike.

Boxers 2.5oz -champion synthetics from target. Great!

BUFF 1.3oz Very versitile. Bandana, hat (for high winds), neck sun protection, small towel. Love it.

Native Sunglasses w/cord 3.1oz -ditched the cord, bag, and extra lenses. The glasses are great as is. I can keep them on my head or in the chest pocket of the shirt when not in use.

Pack: Gossamer Gear Gorilla 22.5oz- very great. Carried 35 pounds with no issues.

Pad: Thermarest Zlite Short 11oz -used someone's neoair for a few nights. Was comfy, but I slipped a ton and had to put it inside the bivy which I didnt like. One windy night it blew into a cactus. 2 holes. Patched. Sent away. Used with ground clothe and GG thin pad underneath. The zlite though is lighter (-3oz pad, -1oz? ground cloth, -3oz light under pad)and just as warm. Also doesnt slip. Will have to replace after a few hundre miles though I believe.

MYOG quilt 16oz cuben/momentum 2.5" loft – has been holding up really nicely. Warm, but not overheating. Nights are cold but not with the quilt. I didnt add a foot box, dont want to stress the cuben at all. Putting the end of the quilt in my pants at night (drawstring shock cord waist) creates an awesome foot box with no tension on fabric or extra weight. Still vents great without it- completely removeable!

BMW nano tarp 3.35 oz- really great tarp. Light, I dont feel it in the pack. Worked great in 40+mph winds with 12 stakes while other tents collapsed. Many pitching options.

Line Locks .3oz -bounce boxed these guys. Learned some new knots from Scout so I should not need them, but I will hang onto them to see if I do like them. They might be easier.

MSR needle stakes x6 2.1 oz Durable. Light. Never pop out.
    Ti stakes x6 1.7oz Durable. Light. Never pop out.
    BMW Aircore Pro .85 oz Very slick- will be good for bear bagging
    GG LT4 poles pair w/baskets 6.8 oz Awesome! no issues. More durable than I thought
    BMW Vapr Bivy Long 8.45oz Great. No condensation issues. Long enough for me with extra room. Very breathable.
    Golite Virga Rain Jacket 8oz- never had rain yet. Great as a "wind jacket." Hood is a little floppy, I would have liked a sinch cord. Still good though. I like the side pockets.

Montbell UL wind shirt 2.8 oz- will probably send home. Never used yet.

Extra socks 1.4oz never used the extras yet. Only 1 pair so far…
    Spare boxers 2.5oz Never used these either, except for in town and I dont need them. Just in case ;)
    BPL UL mossie net .4oz -havent had to use it yet. Light though!
    Light gloves 2.2oz- will probably ditch these. Never use them. Maybe up north.
    Long thermal underwear 4.75oz- nice, but unnecessary. Will hang onto them till San Jacinto, then possibly ditch/bounce.
    Royal Robbins Down Vest 7.5oz- sent back home. Not really warm enough to keep it on the trail. Will either have to find something warmer or I'll just go with nothing. Not worth 7.5oz

Evernew Water Bladder 2L 1.5oz -works great! Seems very durable. Small opening though.
    Gatorade bottles- classic. great. replaceable.
    Aqua Mira purification 2oz still havent used much if any. repackaged.
    Trash bag liner for pack 1.5oz no rain to test this yet.

Extra trash bag/rain coat 1.5oz not needed yet

MP3 player and headphones 2oz great to have for town and at night. never used during the day though. I have to keep the battery out of the player. No hold function means it turns on when I dont want it to, thus when I want it, there is no battery.

Total toiletries 3.8oz The small toothbrush was great but they are not durable. Totally fray in 3 days. Switching to normal brush. Ecodent is great. Doesnt do much for breath, but who needs that on the trail? Light, works.

First aid 8oz repackaged some neosporin to help with the weight, but I dont think that was a good idea. So far only used the leukotape, neosporin, needle, and duct tape. Everything works :)

Swiss Army Classis Knife 1 oz? Love the scissors on this

Petzl Tikka XP2 headlight 3.1oz Very bright and has a whistle on the strap. Havent used it to night hike yet though- moon has been enough

Serius balaclava 2oz -great, but could probably make/buy something warmer for this weight. But its cheap and durable and works.

Camera Nikon Coolpix L11 6.4oz Good camera. Bring extra batteries and memory if you take a lot of pics.

Extra rope 1.35oz Useful but not needed. Makes a good laundry line, made a sternum strap from it, etc.
    DEET W/duct tape 1.3oz *in FAK – havent used the DEET yet
    Dry bag 2.2oz -ditched.
    2 carabiners .2oz will need for bear hang. I clip the sunglasses to them at night.
    can opener .16oz havent eaten from a can yet…might ditch it.

Alcohol stove .6oz Works great, only with heet so far. Lots on the trail. Actually I have too much…

.9L grease pot 3.7oz with lid – works well. I have been using cut-up water bottles and soda cups as a pot with the boiling water so that I dont have to wash "dishes." That works really well, is free, and replaceable every few days.

Windscreen .9oz Essencial in wind
    Fuel with bottle 4.6 oz small 8oz water bottle container works great. Carries week supply when needed and doesnt leak.

Light My Fire Scout 1.1oz I have been lighting the stove with this with no problem. I saw a tip on BPL on how to do it- dip the end in the alcohol and take it out. Then strike. The drop will ignite, then you can ignite the stove. The tip was later taken off I believe, but it has been working for me. Havent needed to prime yet. I have a lighter and matches should this not work at some point.

Light my fire spork- changed to Primus folding spork. Fits in the pot. Both are great but I broke a light my fire one before.

Halfmile Maps (selection) -AWESOME maps. Great to play around with. Very detailed.
    Yogi (selection) -Useful
    Data book -havent used these pages yet.
    Permits -Havent had to take these out yet to show anyone
    Journal 2.55oz havent written anything down yet. sigh. bad Evan.
    Purell .5oz Awesome stuff. Really small bottle. Has lasted a long time too!

Sierras/snow course
    bear cannister -no experience
    Ice axe: camp corsa 70 cm 9.9oz -no experience
    MSR Denali w/8in tails 4lb 5oz -no experience
    Stabilizers 10.8oz -no experience

Jonathan Krainak

@mangathan

Getting enough to eat? You mentioned your weight, metabolism, etc.

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools