Topic

2.2 ounce stove system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2.2 ounce stove system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Locale: SouthEast

Cook KitGettin' Its Flame On

the pot is the bud light can. the windscreen is the cut down fosters can. and the stove is the cat can. right at 1 ounce. the way I see it boiling water is boiling water, and this ultra light 1 ounce system works for me since most meals i make on the trail usually call for 2 cups or less.
    Everything fits into each other and wraps inside a bandana, finally secured by an ultra fat rubber band thus finally weighing 2.2 ounces. hope you like it. comments and random jibberish welcome!

Hal Potts

@halpotts

Locale: Middle Tennessee

I like it Kyle. Super light, but probably likely to get crushed along the way. Google "Caldera Cone Keg H" and you can see a similar version with an anti-crush case. I think total weight is 6 or 7 ounces. It's a good stove for boiling water but I have found if I don't use the case the windscreen tends to get seriously banged up in the pack.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

never mind

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Hal- Thanks, I usually keep it on the outside of my Ohm and it's usually fine. It has fuel in it and fork and it usually stays pretty in tact from my experience. Maybe I'll look for some sort of casing like you suggested in the future.

Tim-
    What do you mean "never mind"?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i had a comment but answered my own question, so never mind.

-Tim

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I'd just be worried about the jagged edge. Can you smooth it down or fold it over? No need to invite gushing wounds in the backcountry.

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Alright. And yea, I cut the edges in a curved way so that they wouldnt poke, but still maybe slice? But I think it is very unlikely. Fair trade in my opinion for the weight. It was just kind of an idea floating around in my head. You could also not even take the Fosters windscreen and just use aluminum foil?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

The Foster's windscreen would be much more durable than aluminum foil, but its just the whole sharp edge thing. The only sharp edge I have in the backcountry is my knife. But, ya can't beat the weight and price of your setup!

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Yea, I appreciate it. I guess I'll just have to be SUC in the backcountry =(Super Ultra Careful). :)

Nicholas Miller
    BPL Member

@nmiller08

Locale: Montana

I like it a lot, especially if you've got a method down that protects it. It also seems like each of these components is fairly reliable even if (moderately) damaged. Everything can pretty much be bent back into usable shape in the field given the simplicity. That counts for a lot.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I do have a question though…

That can is gonna be hot! How are you going to pick it up?

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Thank you Nicholas.

Travis- why, my multi-use bandana of course!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ah, just making sure you've got a plan! : )

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

OH yea, learned that lesson the HARD way. :/

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Yeah, the first time I used my titanium cup as my pot, I learned a lesson or two. The handles weren't too hot, but I just didn't think about the rim where I put my lip on. OUCH!

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Since you gave a choice I was going to go with random gibberish, but decided on a comment instead.:P

Perfect dirtbag hiker setup. Simple design, don't worry about dents, low budget. I like it.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Hey Kyle,
    George here makes some mighty fine-lookin' stoves. I just ordered his Gram Weenie. Worth a look at least, and here's why:

I went looking for an alcohol stove that would work well for my Snow Peak 450 mug. Its small in diameter, so most stoves would shoot the flames out over the sides, like in your picture. (not tryin' to diss your setup BTW). The Gram Weenie seemed to fit the bill.

Like I said, I'm not trying to take away from your DIY project, but just throwing more options out there. Here's the link to the thread I started:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28627

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Another option.
    If you want a short 24oz fosters can, with more of a freindly cup lip, a good way to do it is cut it down and epoxy on a 24oz Heineken can top.

Fit over it perfectly for a 2 cup boiler.

Also fits inside a short country time lemonade container which makes it crushproof, but the container is a bit heavy. It does however work for a cup, measuring (lid is marked) and for bag cooking food inside.

Here is one I made a while back. I made this one upside down so it would fit into another type container, but it will fit in the short country time lemonade container with the normal fosters bottom.

Thats silicone rescue tape around the top of the can.

This entire rig weighs 4oz less the fuel bottle
    and less the two face to face cups with the yellow ring around..

Photobucket

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

It looks like you've got a solid system set up for you. I dig it. At first I was thinking I'd kill myself on those edges (knowing thats about how pretty of a job I'd do as well) but since you wrap it up in a bandana when you're not using it seems like you have it worked out.

I'm into it

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Thanks everyone. I've heard of the lemon aid container as a case. I prefer my bandana though. Maybe I'll use a modd pringles can? anyway, here are some more pics to confirm.

Components of Kit

Size Comparison

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

It's easy to get a nice, smooth edge to a cut-off can.

Rather than hacking away at the can with a knife, or even using scissors, I find the easiest way is to simply score with a sharp blade (Stanley or craft knife), and then tear along the score line.

Have a look at my article on making alcohol burners for photos.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Nice article Kevin! I know that design has been shown all over, but your photos and personal techniques were appreciated.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Glad you liked it, Jared. As I said in the article, it's not new, and I don't claim any novelty for the methods, but I was trying to collect them in a clear, concise article.

As always, I found things I'd improve in the method, and my description, after the article was published. One problem of being an obsessive-compulsive perfectionist…

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

alu cutting1
    alu cutting2
    alu cutting3

Do not use drill, use your hands to make hole.

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Thanks Timo. I tried your method of cutting the top off of a 24 oz. beer can. Works well for pasta dishes I've found.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools