Topic

Minnesota winters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Minnesota winters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

The following is a gear list that, subject to some modifications, has in some part been out with me in the past two winters at a winter scout camp in central MN.

Winter in Minnesota

Conditions: +30 to -30 F, windy, possible lake effect snow
    Duration: 2-4 days (longer needs more fuel and vapor barrier)

Note: Minnesota Current Snow Conditions

Comments? Anyone think I need a dedicated snow shovel?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Dedicated snow shovel? C'mon – you're in Minnesota. Perhaps if you're up in the U.P., but not on the North shore.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I don't know Sam, I've used a snow shovel plenty of times on the North Shore While winter backpacking.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

My take on it is that if I need a snow shovel, I'll use my snowshoes or that I have a bigger concern i.e. I need a shovel in the first place.

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

I think you can definitely put it in the damned if you do damned if you don't category. The North Shore is so moody, but that's why I love it. However I can think of few times the snowshoes alone didn't suffice.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

My point was not that you couldn't find a use for a snow shovel on a winter trip, but more so that you could probably do without it aka use branches or a snowshoe.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Ever try building a quinzie with a snowshoe or a tree branch? :)

Seriously though, I'd at least bring a Snowclaw typ shovel.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Weather this weekend is going to similar to that on the Parcour 2009 (highs in the mid 30s, lows in the teens to potential high single digits). My gear list has changed slightly to accommodate the change.

Two big gear changes: I'm going with a smaller cookpot and an MSR PocketRocket. It should work fine given the temps (the isobutane boils at a temp below my anticipated temps). I'm still going to take my Dragonfly and 1.3L ti pot in the car, and watch the weather. I also changed up my sleeping system to a quilt + bag. The bag is likely overkill, but I have been cold in the quilt to these temps. And it's still less than my -20 bag. I'm also taking a bivy, too.

Photo of the gear a la Colin Fletcher:

SHT winter 2010 gear

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Matt, glad to see you're going out camping. Are you doing a couple nights or just one? If just one you'll certainly have no problem with the stove – just remember to keep the canister warm.

And I didn't see Chad's comment about building a quinzie until just now. There was no mention of needing to build snow shelter in the original post so I still feel a shovel is not a necessary item in non-avalanche terrain winter backpacking.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

I'll be out two or three nights (Fri + Sat and/or Mon). There is plenty of space in my bags to keep the can warm at night, and I'll melt water in the afternoon when the temps should be north of 32F.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Nice trip and report Matt….I'm new to snow camping with one trip under my belt and another coming up next weekend and so far I love it! Need to get some avy training, though.

I'm also new to Blogspot, can I ask you a question? How do you get more than one photo into a post? I can only figure out how to include one photo.

Also, have you used any tutorials for blogspot, or are you self-taught?

Thanks!

David

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Nice trip report Matt. Color me jealous … but it's my own dang fault for not making winter trips a priority this year.

I was wondering what you'd say about the Drainpipe, he-he. I'll take the uphill grind before going down that thing any day … and that's without snow! I'm sure you appreciated the grip provided by those MSR snowshoes.

My return to backpacking (Sep 2000) covered Cty Rd 6 to Beaver Bay. Way over packed, way out of shape and water was scarce. I stood at the bottom of Drainpipe for about 10 minutes wondering how I'd get up it. My long latent interest in getting by with much less gear kicked into high gear after that trip.

This was shortly after the long race that's held every fall. While waiting at the bottom I overheard a conversation between a two hikers coming down … he: "This must have been fun" she: "heh-heh, it was pitch black and pouring rain, but the lightning flashes helped me find footing."

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools