Topic

Least harsh water treatment.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Least harsh water treatment.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

So, let me first say, that I rarely use chemical water treatment, if ever. I grew up in latin america, and have never been sick from bad water, that being said, I'm pretty sure I just jinxed myself.

I don't want to use chemical treatments, I can always taste the stuff in municipal water, and I dun like it.

So, what is the least harsh method, assuming I'll use an Aquamira FP afterwards? Chemical wise that is.

I know Bob is gonna ask me about the water source and situation.. Well I'm speaking of generally to highly questionable sources where viruses might be a possibility, i.e. SE asia, India, Africa.

What about mildly questionable sites? i.e. most stateside sources? Am I pushing it just using the FP? I used to use a Sweetwater, but it's too too heavy anymore.

Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I would boil it.

That applies to ordinary elevations. Once you go above a certain high elevation, boiling is not so effective for water treatment of some risks. OTOH, when you get that high, many of those risks are absent.

I've camped up around that certain high elevation, but there was no liquid water. The snow was full of little petrified artifacts from previous campers. We melted it and boiled it.

–B.G.–

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Thanks Bob, that's what I wanted to hear.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I agree with Bob.

Assuming that the water is free from chemical contamination (e.g., heavy metals, toxic runoff, etc.), a good boil is the best way to purify your water. Just be sure whatever container you decant your freshly-purified water to is clean and dry (i.e., doesn't contain droplets of nonpurified water).

There are a lot of excellent threads on this site on boiling techniques. Check 'em out…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools