Topic

Best stuffsack design?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Best stuffsack design?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

What do you think is the best stuffsack design in terms of usability, durability, easy of constrution etc?

I've made a couple from the Jay Ham 5 yards to SUL series, as well as a couple using the thru-hiker.com instructions. Haven't used my stuff sacks in the field yet so don't know which one are the most durable. In terms of construction I think the Jay Ham design is slightly faster to make since it doesn't require making a buttonhole.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

In my search for a more professionally finished sack (not wanting the weight of a simple grommet) i started making sacks like described in the Ray-Way kits, with an extension of fabric past the drawcord. This allows me to make a separate drawcord tube and sew it in for a nice finished looked with the added benefit of a waterproof closure (doesn't help if i don't seam seal the sack). The added weight of the extra fabric is less than a grommet and i find it helps me get items in that are a tight fit as they are in the collar then get pushed down. For the rest i make a square bottom sack as it is easy and holds up great. Its my way, it's not the best way, but it works for me, and I guess for Ray too. I actually did it without thinking of Ray's but realized it was the same just now as i was describing it.

-Tim

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

Tim, can you post a picture of one of those?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i'd have to go make one, they all float away! I can get one made in the next 2 days (i have to start a new quilt today so it might be tomorrow)

-Tim

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

We made some for xmas presents this year (produce bags actually) with the drawcord channel mimicking the stuffsack from ULA's Amigo Filter. The channel is made before the bag is shaped as follows:

-The single panel lays flat.
    -The top corners are folded in about 2" and pressed or pinned.
    -The top edge is folded in about 1" and pressed or pinned.
    -One seam secures this channel.
    -The result is a channel with a doubled edge at entries and just one seam.
    -Finish sack according to your choice of flat, square, or round bottom.

The channel and seam can be strengthened by doubling or tripling the folds before the single stitch, but may make threading the drawstring more difficult. Work it out first by folding paper. It holds a crease better than cloth.

edit: Yes, exactly as Scott's picture shows. And I've now noticed this design on some non-ULA bags in my house.

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

This is how I usually do the stuffsacks for my tarps. A picture's worth 1000 words, right?
    I also insert a loop of 3/8" gross grain at the bottom so that it can be hung upside down, not necessary, but a nice feature.

Stuff Sack Design

Stuff Sack Picture

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Scott

I am going to copy your drawcord channel next time. The reinforced ends are NEAT!

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools