Topic

tenkara hane

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara tenkara hane

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

My Tenkara Hane is ordered from BPL and yesterday the flies, tippet, and line reel
    arrived from Tenkara. I am now officially pumped. Now all I have to do is wait for my rod and for BPL to get the Slackpack back in stock.

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Sweet! Mine should be here tomorrow then. I just picked up a Renzetti traveler vise off eBay and have been tying a couple flies each day.

I can't wait for spring

Eugene Hoppe IV
    BPL Member

@eahoppe

erased

Eugene Hoppe IV
    BPL Member

@eahoppe

erased

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

still haven't got mine.

Ryan? Sam? any further update?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

They have not yet shipped due to a manufacturing error. I am compiling some information for an e-mail to be sent out this week, our apologies for the delay.

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Locale: SouthEast

Any word on when they are gonna be back in stock in the BPL store?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Dear Backpacking Light Customers,

I apologize profusely for the delay in the shipping of the Backpacking Light Tenkara Hane Fly Fishing Rod you purchased. This situation as is very embarrassing for me, acting as liason between you, the customer, and Tenkara, the manufacturer.

In my previous e-mail to you sent February 23rd I informed you the rods had been shipped from the manufacturing plant to Tenkara for inspection. The intent was for Tenkara to ship them to us for distribution to you our customers at that time. A few days ago I received word from Tenkara that a significant error took place during the logo'ing process of our rods that required Tenkara to refuse the shipment for re-manufacturing. Tenkara has stated to me they expect to receive this new batch of rods March 25th. Working with that date as a baseline I expect to be able to ship the rods to you our customers during the first week of April.

I do sincerely apologize for this delay but hope you can understand it is due to an unfortunate circumstance. If you are dissatisfied and would like a refund you are more than welcome to request that from me. If you are still excited to receive the product I beg of you to be patient for an early April delivery.

The preferred method of communicating with me is through the use of the Customer Support area on the Web site at http://backpackinglight.com

My sincerest apologies,
    Sam Haraldson

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Sam,
    Lucky for me that I live in Mn and the ice isn't out yet. However I was looking forward to drooling over the new rod. It is a good thing marriage has taught me to be more patient.

Daniel Galhardo

@dwgalhardo

Locale: Boulder, CO

As owner of Tenkara USA I wanted to express my apologies on the delay for these rods as well. It's our fault as there was a slight gap in our manufacturing this time and we wanted to ensure you guys receive the good rods you expect.
    We thank you for your patience and know you'll enjoy your BPL Hane rods.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

My Hane has landed. 74grams + 8 grams for the case. I think I am in love.Sam,I assume the line will follow. Just kidding.

WV Hiker

@vdeal

Locale: West Virginia

My Hane arrived two days ago – sweet rod and oh so light. I assume that the plastic covering over the handle is supposed to be removed? Can anyone verify. Also, what is the space in the handle for?

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Yes, remove the plastic. Go to the Tenkara site and under gear
    maintenance there is a video from Daniel that explains the rods and take down and set up.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I received my Hane yesturday.

What diameter is the tippet that was provided with the Hane? I am just learning how to fly fish so I want to purchase more tippet line since I know I may break a few tippets while I'm learning how to use this rod.

Also, some reccommendations on what kind of flies I should be using would be helpful as well. I plan on using the rod in Florida rivers that are not more than 30-40 ft wide. Should I use flies with hook size 12 or 16?

Any advice would be apprecaited.

-Sid

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

Does anyone have an Iwana 11ft rod, and could you provide me with your comparision to the Hane in terms of feel?
    What is the difference in feel like between the rods in casting and catching fish? The specs are close to the same, but the Iwana with another 13inches may be a softer feel than the Hane – it would all depend on how the sections are designed by the rod builder.
    Can anyone tell me where it flexes on the cast – is it mostly in the tip section like the other tenkara rods? Does it flex at all past the mid point when casting? Is the casting flex progressive or sectionalised?

(I'm also about to log back onto the Tenkara site to check with Daniel et al to see if they advise).

Chris Stewart

@cm_stewart

The Hane and the 11' Iwana are very different rods. The Hane is much stiffer. Like all tenkara rods, the tip sections are soft, but as the 7:3 rating would suggest, the midsection of the rod stiffens quickly. With a light line, only the tip sections will "load" so you will need a fairly quick, sharp casting stroke. A heavier line will feel better with the rod. Because of the ability to cast a heavier line than the Iwana, the Hane would be a better choice if you will be fishing big, bushy flies or heavy flies, or fishing in the wind. It will certainly be a better choice if you are regularly catching 16-18" fish.

The Hane and the 11' Iwana are both short and light in weight, but the similarity stops there. They were designed for different fishing situations, and you could conceivably really want both.

I have a review of the Hane and Iwana on TenkaraBum.com.

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

thanks as always for the excellent advice, now I'm really tempted.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

If it was just the logo'ing process that went wrong does that mean there might be some cheaper ones going out for sale? Faulty stock so to speak?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools