Topic

Quinoa

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

My quinoa from COSTCO says it is pre-rinsed. The cooking directions also say to rinse it thoroughly. I have not (yet) experimented with not rinsing it to see what happens.

— MV

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I bought some Quinoa Flakes at my local Whole Foods as I thought that they would be easier to rehydrate on the trail. Instead of following the directions, I brought the water to a boil and then transferred the hot water and 1/3 cup of the flakes to my bowl/cozy and waited for about 5 minutes. The flavor was lacking but I didn't add any spices or seasoning. I imagine the oatmeal/porridge type mixture could be used with cinnamon and sugar for breakfast and bullion and spices for dinner too. Very lightweight.

Anyone have any good recipes for using such an ingredient?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Eric… I've been doing all sorts of things with Quinoa Flakes this past little while and as soon as I decipher my notes and do a retest on some of the recipes, I will post them here.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Recently I was asked to be one of the regular food contributors for Seattle Backpackers Magazine. Today my first article with 3 recipes was launched along with a new look for the site. This thread inspired me to do the first installment on quinoa so I thought I'd post a thank you here and also a link to the article and recipes.

Quinoa – A Superfood for the Trail

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thanks for sharing, Laurie. I enjoyed your article and appreciate your contributions here as well.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I can't find Quinoa flakes anywhere locally, so I buy the regular grain. I cook it just like rice and then dehydrate it until it is perfectly dry and hard. That will keep forever.

Then, when in camp, I just mix it into the soup mix and boiling water. I treat it just like instant rice, only it is a little more nourishing.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Aaron, as long as you are not draining the items after cooking you won't lose anything.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Thank you Aaron. I appreciate that. I'm going to be posting quite a few things with some of the other more interesting grains and seeds as time goes by. I also really appreciate that Seattle Backpackers asked me to contribute. I adore, as you know, talking and debating about food. And I also enjoy the learning experience that comes with that. The time when I quit learning and being inspired by people here, my students and readers and friends, I'll throw in the apron.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Laurie, you need to come out to Seattle then – and let Cameron take you on a trip.

I met Cameron on a trail a few years back while on a backpacking trip. He was with his Mom and it turned out she was a coworker of another hiker I had hiked with. We spent a pleasant evening chatting with her (and him as well, lest we forget him).

He was just setting up the Seattle Backpacker Meetup group at the time.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Aaron… in an earlier post on this thread I referred to a link called Red Dog's Soup Adventure. The Quinoa and Spinach Soup mentioned in the article on Seattle Backpackers is the same recipe that is pictured in Red Dog's photo journal of my recipe. He shows it rehydrated on the trail as well. While the dish requires a bit of effort at home, it is just a matter of rehydrating and heating on the trail which is pretty indicative of my general style.

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Locale: Northeast

Thanks for the inspiration, Laurie Ann! I tried this recipe yesterday and it is a new favorite. The soup tastes and looks great!

Elizabeth Zaffarano

@buteo35

That soup is really good! I usually bring along at least one portion for when I need a "soup course" on really hungry days. It's also great to tote along in a thermos for snacking while snowshoeing.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Thanks Laurie and Elizabeth.

Laurie, I received your note on my BlackBerry but haven't had a chance to send you a reply as I am not at the computer that I use for the food writing. I'll send you a note later today or tomorrow.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools