Topic

need pack suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) need pack suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I need a suggestion on a pack with padded straps, hip belt around 4500 cu in with sleeping bag access and preferably weighing around 4# and capable of occasional handling weights of 45#. Needless to say I am not going ultralight. The old Mountainsmith Mountainlight 5000 pack was close to those specs. I cannot find anything lighter than 5.5#. I may be living in Fantasy Island. Any suggestions?

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

I would say a Gregory could easily fit this bill. There has to be a model in there that will get close. I just sold a “Forester” that was extremely feature ladden, weighed in just under 5 lbs. and hauled over 4700 cu. in.

James E Naphas
    Spectator

@naphas

You might consider getting either a osprey aether 75 or a ula equipment catalyst. The latter might not be enough pack either volume-wise or in load carrying ability, but it looks like a sweet pack, and initial reactions from those who have ordered them have been good. The mountainsmith 55 reviewed on this site is the two-times removed offspring of the mountainlight, and might be a consideration also, although it is rated here at significantly less carrying capacity than you are looking for.

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

Another vote for the Osprey. I just bought a aether 60 upon the reccomendation of folks on this site, and really like it. The 60 sounds smaller than you need, and doesnt have a sleeping bag compartment, but the 70 does. I personally dont see the advantage of separate sleeping bag access since it’s usually the last thing out of my bag, but the bigger pack does have it. The aether seems to strike a good balance between features/durability and relatively light weight.

Niss Feiner

@niss_guy

I absolutly love both my Vaudes, I have the Cross Ultralight 35 and the Accept 65, the Accept is wonderfuly combfortable, has great support and chock full of features. Can go head to head with any TNF or mountain hardwear in the 400.00 but sits at less than half that price.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I have the Osprey Aether 75. It is a beautifully made pack that still looks unused after numerous Scout outings. I bought it before my ultralight revelation. In fact, it was responsible for my revelation. It handled heavy loads so well I went beyond what my knees could handle. When I bought it I wanted a “lightweight” pack that could handle just about any weight well. It has exceeded my expectations in this regard. It can compress down to handle my now small and light loads or expand to carry more than I would have ever wanted to carry. I now use a Golite Jam pack because the Aether is now overkill for me. I have loved my Aether so much that I still have it, though it is rarely used now. Check out http://www.ospreypacks.com for the details.

Anonymous

lots of great suggestions. I appreciate all the experience and recommendations.

Robert Ebel

@poop

Locale: Earth Orbit

McHale Packs

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Another lightweight larger volume pack to consider is the GoLite Galaxy. It weighs 3 pounds 10 ounces, has the features you prefer, and will comfortably carry as much as 45 pounds.

Other good LW packs for this purpose, as mentioned, are the Osprey Aether 70 and ULA Catalyst.

Happy (heavy) hiking!

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Take a look at the Kelty Shadow 4500. It’s 3lb 10oz, has separate sleeping bag access and looks pretty adjustable for wide fit range. Don’t know what it’s rated to carry in terms of weight but Kelty stuff tends to be overbuilt. I have a Kelty 4900 c.i. pack that will haul 40-50 lbs without issues. And, you can find them a bit cheaper than a lot of comparable packs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools