Topic

Zpacks Blast vs GG Gorilla?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks Blast vs GG Gorilla?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

I'm leaning towards one of these two packs, but I am torn between the durability of the Gorilla versus the light weight of the Blast.

Any thoughts?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I think this is a little bit of an apples to oranges comparison as the Gorilla is a framed pack and the Blast is frame less. I have both a GG Mariposa Plus and a Gorilla and they are great packs, but are obviously heavier than the blast. If you don't need a frame less pack and are concerned about durability, Joe is making the Blast packs with a Dyneema option now that would make them very durable. If you decide to go with the GG, you won't be disappointed in what it gives you for the weight though.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Brad – not to thread drift, but I have a quick question for you. Since you have both the Gorilla and the Mariposa Plus I was curious to see if they both had a similar fit since they have a similar design, but different capacities.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I have used the ZPack for a week on the AT. It was very comfortable. I opted for the pockets on the belt and found them ample size and very useful. Great pack.

Todd Williams
    BPL Member

@ctwillia

Locale: Depends on the weekend

There is an option to get the Blast with stays. = Apples to apples

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

But they are straight stays and not contoured like those of the gorilla.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Yes the Gorilla and the Mariposa Plus have a near identical fit. They have the same hipbelt, shoulder straps, backpanel, and suspension. The only real differences are the materials, size of the pack bag, and a slightly different pocket layout.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Charles – I was not aware that the Blast was available with stays. I should have looked before I opened my mouth.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Thank you Brad.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools