Topic

Bug Net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bug Net

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I've already decided to go the route of SUL tarp using the type in Jay Ham's article. I need suggestions, patterns, pictures and/or ideas for a bug net to be used underneath.

I'd like to know how you did it or what do you use.

I have an idea of attaching no-see-um to my ground sheet, "hip roof style", on one end and two sides. One end and one side would be sewn and the other side would be zipped. The remaining end would be elaticized so that it would hug my bag "bivy style".

Hiker needs INPUT! 2 week section hike on AT is approaching quickly and I want to do a "shakedown" before I spend two weeks being surprised. :-)

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i think your idea is a keeper. I have been planning basically the same thing.

-Tim

Michael Theiler

@michaelst

Locale: Annandale

I have had a similar concept in my head for a while now, but I haven't obtained the materials to try it out yet.

My idea is to make a bathtub floor using the very thin plastazote or evazote sheet. Then attach bugnet to three sides, leaving one side unattached. I was thinking of using velcro for the remaining side, or maybe just a portion of it.

I plan on not sewing up the top, but instead just tying the hemmed netting. Then I can still use my groundsheet when bugs aren't an issue. Just tuck the netting around the inside of the bathtub floor. I will probably make something specific for the tying, so attaching to my tarp roof is easy.

I think your ideas sound great, just wanted to throw in some other zany concepts. Mine wouldn't be incredibly light, but serves as a water proof groundsheet, has some thermo-decoupling properties, and should be pretty durable. I have aslo been thinking of gluing momentum to the underside to give it a bit more durability, but this would add to the weight substantially, so haven't decided yet on this one.

Good luck with your design,

MT

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I'm looking for some quality 'Mosquito' netting, not 'noseeum'. I don't need the fine holes here in California and want better airflow.

Anybody have a source? The usual suspects don't seem to carry the larger-hole mosquito netting anymore. I tried Thru-Hiker, Rockywoods, Quest, and Seattle Fabrics- all they had was noseeum.

I did find a couple sources for larger mesh but they aren't backpacker oriented and don't list weights. A sample is coming from "SCS-Mall" of their $5 fabric.

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

You can order mosquito netting from Cooke Custom Sewing.

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/doityourself.htm

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

John, I posted these pics a while back so sorry if this is not new. But they show my MYOG mini-tent that was heavily influenced by Jay's tarp. I have essentially "hung/sewed" bug net across the rear, several inches along the sides, and then sewed it with a zip across the front for a door. I also added a bath tub style floor below the netting. This tent after seam sealing weighed 12.9 oz (excluding stakes & treking poles)

Mini-tent 1

Mini-tent 2

Mini-tent 3

Mini-tent 4

If you dont want the netting sewn to the tarp, another method might look something like MLD bug bivy. It literally hangs from underneath the tarp.

MLD Bug Bivy 1

MLD Bug Bivy 2

Either of these close to your thinking?

Jamie

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Just being a pest. What part of the AT you expect to visit between now and @ mid May at the earliest where bugs might be an issue?

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Really nice work Jamie.
    Is that your own design?
    THe double pullouts on the end look like they work really well for a taught pitch. It looks like a very fun project.
    Have you got more pictures?

Joe Newton
    BPL Member

@grayjoe

You might want to look at Ray Jardine's site. He has a new bug kit called the Spitfire that might meet your needs

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Thanks Brent…it sorta my own design. I developed all the dimensions and the how all the pieces would be sewn together. But it was more a collection of concepts. I have some details in an older thread if interested I will find it and post a link. Jay Hamm's articles on how to use 5 yds of spinnaker are great.

Here are some pics from the the tents field test. Unfortunately it did not rain, but the tent did survive some fairly strong winds that night.

MYOG Tent 1

MYOG tent inside

MYOG Tent 2

EDIT: sorry for the highjack…didnt mean to fill the thread up with my pics, especially when I have posted most of these before.

Jamie

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Jamie,

I really like the mini tent design. I've had the same kind of idea banging around in my head for some time now. My design idea was a concession of sorts on my part to keep everything as simple as possible. Your pictures have opened my eyes to what may be another light and simple solution. I sewed an experiment of Jay's tarp and realized that it is quite spacious if all the original demensions are used.

I like the size of Jay's original design and adding a floor and netting to a tarp of that size was going to be IMO more material than necessary to achieve my purpose.

The MLD Bug Bivy 1 is quite close to what I have in mind with Jay's tarp design that looks a lot like your Mini-tent. My idea also has a little of the Simblissity Inner Peace Noseeum Bug Tent in it due to the hugging of my sleeping bag at hip level.

The pictures were very helpful. Thanks for the response.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

MLD Serenity Shelter
    P6270223
    Serenity under GG SpinnTwinn
    A very nice combo under 20oz!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Tim,

Thanks for the positive feedback. What would you suggest for the material at the bottom? I have some PU coated ripstop left over from my SUL pack project. I also have what I think is some PVC coated nylon left over from my tarp experiment. I got it at Wal-Mart for $1.50 per yard. It is not the lightest material but it seems to be waterproof. Hiker still looking for INPUT. :-)

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I'd use sil (or cuben cause i'm crazy) to keep it light, but any waterproof nylon should work. If the coating is crappy it may not last long though. (not sure on the WALMART stuff)

-Tim

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Cola,

We'll be starting out May 31st, at Indian Grave Gap, NC and hopefully end up in Damascus, VA two weeks later on June 12th.

I hope to sew and field test my new shelter many weeks in advance of our hike.

Bugs were not that much of an issue when I was on the AT in 2008 and the Pinhoti in 2009. My bottle of Ben's Bug Repellant has not been opened. :-)

>>Just being a pest. What part of the AT you expect to visit between now and @ mid May at the earliest where bugs might be an issue?<<

No pests here. I believe I understand where you were coming from. If I were able to leave earlier bug nets and the like might be unnecessary weight.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Tim,

>>I'd use sil (or cuben cause i'm crazy) to keep it light, but any waterproof nylon should work.<<

Thanks for the quick response. I am ordering my material tonight from Quest Outfitters.

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

Maybe parts of the instructions for the MYOG Spinnshelter bathtub floor may be of use?

http://www.gossamergear.com/gossamergear/images/myog/Spinnshelter_bathtub_floor.pdf

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools