Topic

Lightning Ascent Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Lightning Ascent Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Greg Foster
    BPL Member

@thefost

Buying some lightning ascents and was hoping someone could hep with sizing. I'm planning on buying two models, a womens lightning ascent for my 130 lb gf and a mens model for a 140 lb me (without packs). According to MSR's chart, this puts us squarely in the 22" packed snow size, and 25" deeper snow size. After reading tons of posts and reviews all over the web, I still dont know which to choose. I've never been snowshoeing, so I dont know which way to go.

For general sierra snowshoeing, which size do you recommend?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Greg,

For typical Sierra cement, er, snow the 22s should be fine. That's the size I own and I'm 175 lbs. The lighter weight and greater manuverability are worth the occasional postholing in deep fresh snow.

If in doubt try renting before buying. Even if you rent a different brand you should be able to get a reasonable comparison of the flotation afforded by a similar length shoe. The MSR binding attachment is pretty different from the more typical spring attachment, though.

Cheers,

Rick

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I'm still waiting for the cement to cure in the sierra. Been up three time so far this year and wish I had larger shoes than my 22" Denali evo ascents with the 6" tails. I personally would go longer but my results may not be typical.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I own 30" Lightning Ascents B/C, as a backcountry skier, I know that snowshoes do not give the flotatioin of skis. And 30" 'shoes are not enough longer that they will cause any manuverability problems.

With snowshoes always go longer. :)

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I've just started playing in Southern California snow. It turns out even after our 40 year storm a couple weeks back, the snow really sets up fast. I left the snowshoes in the car and used crampons at Mt. Baldy last weekend.

Contrast that to the Sierra where I grew up playing in the snow. I've broken trail with 36" snowshoes where I could barely lift my knee high enough for the next step. I sort of agree that you might need more than one pair of 'shoes for all-winter use in the Sierra.

Back to MSR- has anyone looked at all the various models? I'm curious whether the hinge pin and binding are similar strength on the full line? If so, for highly consolidated Sierra or So-Cal snow it might be fun to try the MSR Shift. It's aimed at kids from 75 to 125 pounds and measures 7"x19.5". They claim it will fit up to Men's 8 boots, which might mean larger trail runners with some trimming of the front deck. Weight is advertised at 2 lb, 7 oz. per pair.

I just bought a pair for my 7 year old. They look great- I'll have a report after we spend this weekend in Sequoia.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools