Topic

Simple Water Scoop and Pre-Filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Simple Water Scoop and Pre-Filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Elisabeth Chaplin Philabaum
    BPL Member

@elisabitch-2

Between Ben's idea, Dale's idea, and the fact that I had all of the necessary components handy, I felt inspired to rig a pre-filter for my upcoming trip around the TRT. I used a Steripen throughout my PCT thru hike last summer, and there were a few lake sources in OR that had some little red critters who met their demise in my gut — which, while obviously it didn't kill me, I would have preferred to not ingest them. I love my Steripen, it worked flawlessly for five months — but a "just in case" pre-filter would make it even better! So here is my first ever DIY gear attempt!! I'm pretty pleased with myself :)

I used a FoodSaver quart bag, cut a tiny slit into the corner, and inserted a Coghlan's fuel filter that I cut down to just the bottom bit. I then used a heat gun on the low setting to melt the bag to the plastic. It works!! A finger over the spout easily holds the water in, and I can scoop up water with the open end — at least in theory, as I haven't trail tested it yet.

At half an ounce, and about $2 (assuming you have a heat gun handy) and about three minutes to make, it'll ride along in my pack this summer! Thanks guys!!

pre-filter2

pre-filter

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools