Topic

Water Scoop and Pre-Filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Water Scoop and Pre-Filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Problem

It's hard to fill up a narrow-mouth, collapsible water bottle like Platypus at shallow water sources. Also, filling up often disturbs the water, stirring up particulates into one murky mess.

Option

Make a simple, light and compact water scoop with integrated pre-filter.

Materials Needed

1. Sacrifice an old 1L Platypus water bottle
    2. Platypus "push-pull" cap
    3. mesh coffee filter ***

*** Cheaper option — buy this at Wally World for $2 and cut out the piece of mesh filter within.

Putting It Together

1. Cut out a round piece of mesh just a tad bigger all around than the push-pull cap — and insert into the cap as shown in photo below.

2. Cut out the bottom of your old Platy — as shown in photo below.

3. Screw the push-pull cap on.

That's it! You're done!

Using It

1. With cap screwed on and in closed position, scoop a bottle full of water.

2. Position your receiving bottle water below — then pull open the push-pull cap. Water will very quickly drain through the mesh pre-filter into your receiving water bottle — and be free of any visible sediment or debris.

3. Treat your water with UV or chemicals as desired.

After use, I give the water scoop a quick wipe, then put my small bottle of chlorine inside, roll it all up and stuff into my pack's side pocket.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ahh! Thought I was on the DIY branch. Sorry.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools