Topic

How to stormproof a Lunar Duo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to stormproof a Lunar Duo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian Boenner

@racoon-on-tour

Locale: beautiful Rhineland (Germany)

Hi everyone,
    My wife and I are using a SMD LunarDuo for most of our trips. A great tent although I think it's not really storm resistant. This year we plan to take a hike in North Scandinavia (mostly in Sweden). Unfortunately especially this area is used to be very "windy".
    First I thought about buying (or building myself) an other tent which would be more stormproof than the SMD Lunar Duo.
    But right now I'm thinking of just adding a few tie-outs to improve it's weather stability. Maybe I'll have to modify it even more?
    Maybe someone here around had a similar problem or just the right idea.?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Depending on how strong the winds are…

Methinks there is only so much you can do to "stormproof" an UL silnylon tent. Sure you can add more guylines to keep the tent in place, but what about the silnylon fabric itself? Silnylon is strong for its weight but I think one has to properly match one's tent with the conditions expected.

From my own experience, I think a tarptent, properly guyed and staked, should be just fine in 20-30mph winds. You can increase the odds tremendously by choosing protected sites.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Or dig a small hole under your poles, to get it lower.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Dan Cunningham at BPL wraps the guy-outs on the tent's ends with sturdy sticks (a la the Jardine two-stick tarp method) and then stakes those guys out. It improves deflection noticeably.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools