Topic

New REI UL Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New REI UL Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

Hi Wade,
    I’ve got one of these that I use for dayhikes. It’s a nice little pack and for $25, it can’t be beat! (Note that there is no padding in the shoulder straps.)

Ryan

Erich Foster

@erichlf

I actually saw this pack when I was REI last weekend. It is very basic. I thought it was kind of cool when I saw it, but more as a laugh factor. It is like a small duffle bag that one gets when in boot camp, and is just as comfortable (not very). Of course, it is pretty light, but I would not buy it.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

It’s pretty small. But it has a “highly organized storage sleeve”, an “efficient drawcord” and “revolutionary” silpreg nylon. Boy, howdy!

Maybe first they can shoot the copywriter.

Erich Foster

@erichlf

Don’t forget its best feature
    Turn inside out and it’s a stuff sack to help organize your gear; once at basecamp, reverse it and it’s a daypack for short hikes away from camp

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Now *that* was funny.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

The first thing that went through my mind when I looked at it was…how many loops on the daisy chain…how much weight does that add…what would I be lashing to 6 or 7 loops for a day hike???

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

The REI Flash UL (9.4 oz) is a nice little pack. I’ve been using it this winter on ski and snowshoe day-trips with up to 10 pounds of gear and it is quite comfortable. It’s well-built and sturdy, and doesn’t show any marks from off-trail brush-bashing. The material isn’t flimsy silnylon–it’s a heavier version with a grid. There is a bit of padding on the shoulder straps, which are a highly breathable mesh.

I’m actually thinking of trimming it up into a stuff sack (remove chest and waist straps, remove hydration bag/organizer flap, use lighter cords, etc.; the weight saved might be 3-4 ounces) for use as a camp day-pack (just like the blurb says!), although this is heavier than having my brother-in-law carry my stuff in _his_ pack because I didn’t bring one ;-)

But for $25, I’ll probably buy another to trim up into a stuff-sack/pack, because I think this one is going to get a lot of use as-is. I’m planning to use it for SUL overnights if I can’t get my low-volume gear list to fit into my Mountainsmith Tour fanny pack (which is almost a pound heavier; hmmm…).

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

I trimmed a few extras off mine and it is now ~7.5 oz. Nice little pack.

Erich Foster

@erichlf

Walmart has something similar for $5.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Erich, are you speaking of the school backpack at Walmart?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I had one when they came out last year..and while a neat idea and fun..I just didn’t use it, so I returned it.
    Word to the wise though..if carrying a bladder in it, line the Flash with something like a FedEx padded mailer to stiffen the bag. Works like a charm-and the FedEx pad makes a great padded, waterproof butt pad :-)

Erich Foster

@erichlf

No not really a school pack. It looked pretty much just like this pack, but was even more simple. It used rope for shoulder straps and those ropes were also the sinch for the bag. It was interesting, but would not be comfortable for anything over 10lbs.

Justin Gunn

@biggunn-1

I love this little pack! But I did make two modification… one functional, one cosmetic.

1. My first complaint was a total lack of structure (no frame). When I loaded my filled Platty, it drooped and felt funny against my back. Then, I cut a small, tapered section of Nightlight (Mt. Washington-style) sleeping pad and inserted it into the bladder sleeve. Not only does this provide a comfy back panel, but doubles as a sit pad on rest stops.

2. I cut off the orange webbing running down the front because it was unnecessary weight and rather ugly.

With these two mods, I now have my favorite day pack ever!

Brian Schroeder

@endoverend

I have one and I hate that orange webbing daisy chain……

A couple of questions about removing it:

Did you remove it from the inside and the outside or just the outside?

After removal, did it leave visible stiching holes in the fabric that it was sewn to?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools