Topic

Zion NP in April – ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Zion NP in April – ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul Hansbarger

@paulhansbarger

Locale: Western Montana

Planning a trip to Zion NP and surrounding areas in early April. Was looking at the West Rim Trail and was curious how the trail is in April as far as snow, ice, etc. How about water sources?

Also, any ideas for 2 day overnights and day hikes in the surrounding areas Escalante, Bryce Canyon would be much appreciated.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

It's somewhat likely that most of the west rim trail will be snow free in early april. But it could also have snow. It's highly variable. I'd figure that most of the typical water sources would be flowing then, including the springs. There's a chance that the rangers won't have current info as most people won't be going up there at that time of year. As time comes closer, I can give you accurate information on the snow conditions.

There are so, so many good hikes in the surrounding areas. Try out Coyote Gulch, a world famous hike. A video of my trip there this year can be seen on my blog.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jack, Nice Blog!

Paul Hansbarger

@paulhansbarger

Locale: Western Montana

Thanks for the info Jack. And thanks for the link to your blog. That Coyote Gulch looks like a great hike.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Unless March has been very cold and snowy, the West Rim Trail should be fine. You might run into some snow, but not enough to be a significant impediment, and a Jack said, water should be easy.

Coyote Gulch is an excellent hike. Crowded by canyon country standards, but justly so. Long, rough drive out there, Hole-in-the-rock road will be very washboarded by then.

A hike out to Neon Canyon, starting and ending at the Egypt TH, is also very fun. Go out via 25 Mile Wash, return via Fence canyon.

April would be a great time to do a stretch of the Below the rim trail in Bryce. The southernmost stretches are very nice and the driving distances make it easier to do a loop.

The possibilities are endless.

Jack H.

@found

Thanks for the kudos ya'll.

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

There is a hike on the escalante which would be great- about 15 miles? I think, starting in town and heading downstream to hwy 12 @Calf Creek rec area. Do a search for Rudi Lambrechtse-Hiking the Escalante, his book may help plan.

Jack H.

@found

Not a huge fan of that hike, but I've got a video from it posted on my blog linked above if ya want to see it.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The best hiking in the Escalante is emphatically not along a flowing waterway! Think lots of chilly wading and bushwacking, and high water in late spring.

Coyote Gulch is a good option. Death Hollow or The Box are also very nice.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Jack

Great blog and vids

Was in Zion day hiking a couple of days in July 1997 – I think was 100 F but did not feel too hot. Angels Landing and also Virgin Narrows.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Paul

You'll love it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools